No announcement yet.

VirtualBox Gets OpenGL Acceleration Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just think it's amazing that it's accelerated at all rather than some sort of emulator running on the CPU. A giant step forward!

Comment

Definitely good stuff and I sure hope there will be the day I can dump my native XP install for good and run Windows entirely in a VM. That would reduce the worry and hassles of reinstalling in the case of when the XP VM catches a virus or malware. Just reload a virgin copy of your install and presto! Clean Windows again.

Nice work Sun

Hope Sun keeps up the momentum on 3d support inside VBOX

Comment

I managed to install it on Ubuntu 8.10, I could get HL1 working just fine, using the -opengl command line, performance was pretty good!

I cannot however get wow working using the same switch, I suspect that there is some unsupported opengl extension, which means that it tries to fallback to d3d rendering which won't work.

It looks very promising for Opengl gaming hover, once they add some more support for it :>

Comment

Originally posted by duncan_nz View Post
          I managed to install it on Ubuntu 8.10, I could get HL1 working just fine, using the -opengl command line, performance was pretty good!

I cannot however get wow working using the same switch, I suspect that there is some unsupported opengl extension, which means that it tries to fallback to d3d rendering which won't work.

It looks very promising for Opengl gaming hover, once they add some more support for it :>
          The OpenGL support is not yet complete, apparently..filing a bug report should help the devs improve the OGL support. D3d should be following as well

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            The OpenGL support is not yet complete, apparently..filing a bug report should help the devs improve the OGL support. D3d should be following as well
            Yes I posted a forum thread, some else has already filed a bug report and it has been seen already etc

Comment

This is great! Good work SUN, and hope lots of people buys VB licenses so SUN earn money on this!

Comment

What OpenGL API are they aiming for? 2.0?

Comment

Working...
                X