No announcement yet.

AMD CES 2019 Keynote: Say Hello To Radeon 7 As 2nd Gen Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so we dont actually know yet what the DP performance is on the gpu? also, both the anandtech and phoronix articles print a curious bit about the cpu, anandtech says "256bit native floating point" and phoronix here says "4x floating point performance"... they cant actually mean native 256bit floating point instructions can they? i am guessing they are talking about vector units? it is just a very strange and stupid way of phrasing it. though it also makes me wonder, is this really the first amd cpu to get avx or avx-like vector units? that sounds crazy too...

Comment

I'm very tempted to get one of these but the Vega 64 performance on Linux leaves a lot to be desired. On Windows it trades blows with the 1080. On Linux it's often beaten by the 1070 in a lot of titles, including DXVK games (at least according to this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...90-linux&num=2 look at Batman. F12018 is where you'd expect it to be, in Batman it loses considerable ground). I just hope that the RVII is consistently on par with the 2080. If it's closer to the 2070 then it's a very poor choice for linux users given the price

It's a shame, I really want an AMD and this might be the only decent upgrade from my 980 ti for some time so I hope it delivers, and specifically I hope it doesn't underperform in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
        Totally agree, AMD's naming convention is super confusing. With nVidia it's easy, a bigger number generally means a better GPU. With AMD, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
        Kinda, I remember having an 8400GT or something around a decade ago. Higher number == better than 2xxx generation currently on offer?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Also, oh no... Why does Google want to provide *everything*??? They provide a search engine, image hosting, a calendar, a contacts list, mail, video calls, instant messaging, phone-associated IM, a social network, analytics, advertisements, a video platform, note-taking software, office suite, storage, hosting platform, home assistant, web browser, operating system, app store, bookstore, music store, movie store, phones, tablets, computers, dictionary, Usenet, domains, maps, blog platform, wallet, traffic status, a car, DNS, internet... just... Why?!
          systemd's bigger brother?.. or role model? ahaha

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Also, oh no... Why does Google want to provide *everything*???
            Because it's their mission: https://www.google.com/about/

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
              And AMD still target shrinking desktop market first and mobile last. In fact as it is I doubt I'd be getting any AMD powered laptop any time soon.
              Intel meanwhile would probably present 8-core 45w laptops CPU's soon.
              Nobody gives a shit about mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Nobody gives a shit about mobile.
                Under mobile I mean laptops, most new users would not even look at desktop.

Comment

Under mobile I mean laptops, most new users would not even look at desktop.
                  The most new users you speak of don't even need a discrete GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    The most new users you speak of don't even need a discrete GPU.
                    They don't, true. But you can get fast intel cpu 6+ cores with integrated graphics, and you can't get amd cpu with same core number and integrated graphics, given on average faster single core for intel... most would choose intel.
                    Don't get me wrong I'm neither Intel nor AMD fan, I have systems from both. But right now in certain niches there is no choise, and I don't like it.
                    I'd certanly prefer to have Ryzen 7 system I use at work with integrated GPU and all 8-cores

Comment

And AMD still target shrinking desktop market first and mobile last. In fact as it is I doubt I'd be getting any AMD powered laptop any time soon.
                      Intel meanwhile would probably present 8-core 45w laptops CPU's soon.
                      What?

Comment

Working...
                      X