No announcement yet.

AMD CES 2019 Keynote: Say Hello To Radeon 7 As 2nd Gen Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a binned Radeon Instinct MI60 (64CU), the GPUs with 64 CUs became MI60's and any with 1-4 defects are turned into Radeon VIIs (60CU).

She did say that Navi would be talked about later this year, likely at Computex when Ryzen 3000 is launched.

To me this hints that Navi will include some high end GPUs, if Navi was low and mid range only then she could have said more about it without fear of cannibalising Radeon VII sales.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Anyway, I'm definitely intrigued by the Zen 2 claims. Seeing as they're coming from the manufacturer, I'll take them with a grain of salt, but even if they were cherry-picking results, they're still showing real progress.
    A Ryzen 5 Engineering Sample (3500X?) beating an i9 9900K is very exciting. The market is about to get very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Radeon 7? This is confusing...
      Totally agree, AMD's naming convention is super confusing. With nVidia it's easy, a bigger number generally means a better GPU. With AMD, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

First it was Radeon HD xx70/xx90. Then it was Radeon R9. Then it became Radeon RX x80. And now Radeon 7? People will confuse it with the mid-range Radeon R7...

Also, oh no... Why does Google want to provide *everything*??? They provide a search engine, image hosting, a calendar, a contacts list, mail, video calls, instant messaging, phone-associated IM, a social network, analytics, advertisements, a video platform, note-taking software, office suite, storage, hosting platform, home assistant, web browser, operating system, app store, bookstore, music store, movie store, phones, tablets, computers, dictionary, Usenet, domains, maps, blog platform, wallet, traffic status, a car, DNS, internet... just... Why?!
        Second Gen 7nm Vega is already for Machine Learning. We'll see NAVI around Oct and we already know it's not designed remotely like Vega.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post
          This is a binned Radeon Instinct MI60 (64CU), the GPUs with 64 CUs became MI60's and any with 1-4 defects are turned into Radeon VIIs (60CU).
          People will then find mechanisms to have ECC on the Radeon 7... (of course unless AMD cripples the yields)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I can't tell what the demographic of the Radeon 7 is. The memory, price, and compute performance suggests this will be for workstations and number-crunching servers. But then, it's called a consumer GPU. And then, where does Navi fall?
            My impression is that it's positioned as a high end gaming and lower-end workstation GPU at the same time. Seen plenty of times where people have used gaming GPUs for workstation use and it wouldn't be the fist time AMD's sold a Vega GPU for both workstation and gaming use as they did just that with the original Vega FE.

As for number crunching in servers, they've already got the Radeon Instinct MI60 that they announced last year for that and they probably were referring to it with the datacenter use. From what I can tell this does look to be a cut down version of it (slightly fewer stream processors and 16 GB rather than 32 GB of HBM2) with display connectors added.

Comment

Spazturtle Why do you need binning. The product is already available as the MI50: https://www.amd.com/en/products/prof.../instinct-mi50

Exactly the same specs as the new Radeon VII, the later with only a few MHz more core clock...

Comment

For the experts: Is this card already supported in MESA/amdgpu?
                Are there some VEGA1 workarounds not required? That would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                  For the experts: Is this card already supported in MESA/amdgpu?
                  Are there some VEGA1 workarounds not required? That would be interesting.
                  AMD hasn't communicated with me about Radeon 7 (yet; sure hope to be receiving review sample...). But assuming it's the new Vega IDs I reported back in December, if so that was just PCI IDs added and no other code changes. If it's not those PCI IDs, then it wasn't introduced yet, but I assume it's those IDs especially with this Vega part shipping next month and so otherwise there will not be Linux driver support in time.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
                    Second-gen Vega? So no Navi any time soon then?
                    My bet is that Navi is being prioritized for the PS5.

Comment

First it was Radeon HD xx70/xx90. Then it was Radeon R9. Then it became Radeon RX x80. And now Radeon 7? People will confuse it with the mid-range Radeon R7...
                      It's no worse than intel's cpu naming scheme. I'm pretty sure at $699, nobody will confuse it for a mid-range part from six years ago.

Also, oh no... Why does Google want to provide *everything*??? They provide a search engine, image hosting, a calendar, a contacts list, mail, video calls, instant messaging, phone-associated IM, a social network, analytics, advertisements, a video platform, note-taking software, office suite, storage, hosting platform, home assistant, web browser, operating system, app store, bookstore, music store, movie store, phones, tablets, computers, dictionary, Usenet, domains, maps, blog platform, wallet, traffic status, a car, DNS, internet... just... Why?!
                      Duh, because they want to *control* everything. All your data are belong to us. The Obama regime's domestic spying and bulk data collection scandals were pretty bad, but they pale in the face of what Google is collecting, analyzing, and selling to the highest bidder.

If you use Google services, any of them, you are selling your digital soul for a pittance of convenience. No thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X