Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD CES 2019 Keynote: Say Hello To Radeon 7 As 2nd Gen Vega

Phoronix: AMD CES 2019 Keynote: Say Hello To Radeon 7 As 2nd Gen Vega

While Monday was the Intel keynote at CES 2019, this morning AMD took the spotlight with Lisa Su's keynote in Las Vegas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

$699 is a good price if it does hit RTX 2080 performance (in non-raytraced games, I presume!)

Comment

Radeon 7? This is confusing...

First it was Radeon HD xx70/xx90. Then it was Radeon R9. Then it became Radeon RX x80. And now Radeon 7? People will confuse it with the mid-range Radeon R7...

Also, oh no... Why does Google want to provide *everything*??? They provide a search engine, image hosting, a calendar, a contacts list, mail, video calls, instant messaging, phone-associated IM, a social network, analytics, advertisements, a video platform, note-taking software, office suite, storage, hosting platform, home assistant, web browser, operating system, app store, bookstore, music store, movie store, phones, tablets, computers, dictionary, Usenet, domains, maps, blog platform, wallet, traffic status, a car, DNS, internet... just... Why?!
      Last edited by tildearrow; 09 January 2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Second-gen Vega? So no Navi any time soon then?

Comment

That did seem odd. I have to wonder if Navi will be directed at something else, maybe Machine Learning. Otherwise with Radeon 7 we will not see Navi for another 6 months, maybe longer!

even with a the little bit of info here this new GPU does look inviting. A 60% boost on OpenCL will be good for the GPU accelerated apps out there.

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
          Second-gen Vega? So no Navi any time soon then?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Radeon 7? This is confusing...
            Probably 7 as in 7nm.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Also, oh no... Why does Google want to provide *everything*???
            That's potentially a good deal for AMD though, and we already knew Google was working on a streaming service. Pretty sure it's based on Linux too. Could be a lot of high end cards they get to sell to Google. I just hope it doesn't negatively affect the supply to consumers though.

Comment

Radeon 7 is great for Vulkan but if NVIDIA annouces 2080ti without rtx then radeon 7 is out of the game basically. Its kind of sad to say that as AMD fan but thats the truth.
              She confirmed NAVI tho.
              And Ryzen 3gen is amazing. The CPU she showed looks like they have still loooooot of space for another 8core chiplet. And also why would they need another die if they had only one chiplet ? So if its 16cores and 32 threads then oh my its amazing CPU and also it beat intel best CPU on stock. And also she said the frequency isnt final.

And why they had to do 16GB HBA2 memory on radeon 7 ? Who needs that much memory in games ? (Its built for gamers) If it was 8GB then the price would went down by lot. So that would be amazing GPU if it was less memory.

Lets just wait for the final specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Haxk20 View Post
                And why they had to do 16GB HBA2 memory on radeon 7 ? Who needs that much memory in games ? (Its built for gamers) If it was 8GB then the price would went down by lot. So that would be amazing GPU if it was less memory.
                Machine learning. Ti had a great advantage with 11GB, because it allowed bigger models. With 16GB, Radeon 7 will have that advantage for itself.

Comment

It was called Radeon Vega II, in short Radeon VII, even shorter Radeon 7.

Comment

I can't tell what the demographic of the Radeon 7 is. The memory, price, and compute performance suggests this will be for workstations and number-crunching servers. But then, it's called a consumer GPU. And then, where does Navi fall?

Anyway, I'm definitely intrigued by the Zen 2 claims. Seeing as they're coming from the manufacturer, I'll take them with a grain of salt, but even if they were cherry-picking results, they're still showing real progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X