Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile Processors, 7th Gen A-Series For Chromebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
    The A-series chips for the Chromebooks are based upon the old Excavator platform, which I think does not utilize the newer PSP found on Ryzen boards?
    If so, then that would explain why they have CoreBoot.

Another possibility, is that Google's CoreBoot-derived bootloader is whitelisted by the PSP, while the CoreBoot itself is not.
    the PSP can boot whatever the OEM sets it to, it can enforce board firmware signatures or not depending on what the OEM decides, just as with Intel ME

Comment

Interesting processors. If VP9/H265 is in these new processors I’d love to see somebody ship a small desktop box with one or more of these chips. The first use would be a HTPC. Info on standby power would be most interesting.

Comment

Too bad these will probably only be used in low- to mid-end notebooks with crappy displays.

Comment

the best one with 35 w is a good one for laptop, the gpu have the same performance of a 960m, for casual gamers it is a great cpu with only a chip without the hybrid graphics

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Now if it came with a decent keyboard (keys, layout) and IPS full HD panel and some offline storage* it would be a very tempting offer. Not the big compiler power for something like Gentoo, but hey, should be already much better than my dated E-350 notebook.

*(no, Google, I will a) not put my data into your cloud b) not have any data I need somewhere spread over the world while I do not have inet on the road)
            Agree totally, but some models do have expandable internal storage. My Dell Chromebook 13 (model 7310 w/ intel 5005U) uses a standard M.2 42mm SSD, which I upgraded to 256 GB. Flashed the machine with Coreboot, installed Fedora 29, and it's a very usable laptop at this point. All features and functions of the hardware are well supported including keyboard backlight. Sleep/resume are instant, and I get ~12 hours of battery life.

Comment

Someone should make a Lignux hybrid as the $300 HP Chrome OS one but with M2 and $400 price plus a version with the 2400GE new equivalent in price, for $500 - $400 in box/desktop -

This 1080p Steam capable machine would be a great SOHO success as the Steam Machine with game console price that should have been back then.

And even 6w AMD APUs lignux phones

But not even lignux OEMs are interested.

PS: PSP - Platform Security Processor - kill switch is not still figured out

Comment

I think M.2 on Chromebooks has gone away and will not return. Cost reasons, you know...

Also I think that AMD does not implement VP9 hardware acceleration for Stoney Ridge on Linux, so battery life will suck when playing back VP9 content on these Chromebooks.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  the PSP can boot whatever the OEM sets it to, it can enforce board firmware signatures or not depending on what the OEM decides, just as with Intel ME
                  That much I already know, I had read something about not being able to port CoreBoot over to the newer AMD motherboards due to the PSP.

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
                    That much I already know, I had read something about not being able to port CoreBoot over to the newer AMD motherboards due to the PSP.
                    I don't know what you read but I don't see how the PSP by itself is an issue. It's only interaction on boot is enforcing firmware signatures, which is an optional feature enabled by the OEM, and the Intel ME also has the same signature enforcement ability.

AFAIK there were complaints about the AGESA blobs (or the lack thereof) https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...o-Coreboot-ATM which are blobs required to initialize the actual hardware, similar to Intel FSP blobs.

Maybe what you read was simplifying saying "all hardware with PSP can't be ported to Coreboot", as that's more or less the hardware that AMD isn't providing AGESA blobs for, but it's not PSP's fault here.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 08 January 2019, 03:27 AM.

Comment

dungeon - I was talking about the Chromebook CPUs, since YouTube and Hangouts are something you expect to work well on Chromebooks. Sure, GPUs shipped with older x86 CPUs might not have supported VP9 hardware acceleration, but to really compete with ARM CPUs it's a must have.

Yes, the CPU might be powerful enough to decode, but it's still a big drain on battery life, and partial acceleration using the GPU is not as good as having full HW acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                      X