Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Rolling Out Two More Sub-$75 Zen + Vega 3 Processors

Phoronix: AMD Rolling Out Two More Sub-$75 Zen + Vega 3 Processors

It's too late to get as a stocking stuffer, but AMD announced today that two more Athlon 200 series parts with two Zen cores and Vega 3 graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"It's not all that bad if you are on an extremely tight budget or just want a very low-end"

This is not at all "very low-end". Very low-end would be a double-core Atom CPU.
    Build a machine with this CPU, a decent SSD and 8+GB of RAM and I can guarantee you that it would do just fine for 99% of office workers in this world. I recently had to use a Pentium G4560-based desktop as my main machine for about 10 days and I can tell you it was pretty fast (but I only run Linux).

Comment

That 35 watts looks pretty good, throw in a Pico PSU and do a mini itx or nano itx build and you probably got a decent media center started

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        That 35 watts looks pretty good, throw in a Pico PSU and do a mini itx or nano itx build and you probably got a decent media center started
        Why would someone want to build a media center instead of just buying an android tv box and running Libreelec on it. Way smaller, cheaper and less power.

This would be great for a NAS device or a home server.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

Why would someone want to build a media center instead of just buying an android tv box and running Libreelec on it. Way smaller, cheaper and less power.

Because we'd rather have a mini x86_64 PC which has Steam, multiple OS choices, higher end sound card support/actual HW components, better kernel support, better driver support...

Comment

Given that Gamersnexus and others have demonstrated that an Athlon 200GE can be overclocked to 3.9Ghz with no issues (and according to them, negligible increased power consumption or need for a non-stock cooler), I do not see why it would be exciting to pay more money for less than that. Maybe a stock 3.9Ghz chip would be worth half the difference between the two, but after that the Vega 8 graphics, four physical cores, and higher accepted RAM speed of the 2200G are likely to outweigh the small difference in price. Paying 36% more money for 9% higher clock speed between a 200GE and a 240GE just doesn't seem to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

I'm someone, so I will answer for myself.

1. Independence -- I am tired of being fucked over by a Android or iOS updates and treated as a incompetent user by "Google / Apple knows best"

2. I'm sick of all of the advertisements in the free apps -- last time I checked you can't even have a decent file manager without bending over for the spyware/adware.

3. Control. I decide when it's time to upgrade an app. If I fuck it up it's my fault and I have the power to downgrade or revert. On other systems if the update sucks you are fucked.

2. SSH + Rsync download and upload -- I can easily download and upload music, videos, and whatever within the LAN

3. "Cheaper" and "Money" isn't my first, second, or third priority.

4. Extensability -- I can use the Media Center for ROMs, Steam Gaming, etc...

5. Custom built is a superior product that has a more environmentally friendly ethos. In capitalism devices are made for a single purpose at as little cost as possible and discarded in the trash when the next cool version comes out. Custom built, each part retains it's value and can be used in upgrades minimizing loss.

6. Custom Linux Media Center with AMD cpu is literally more powerful than some ARM garbage.

7. DRM -- Wouldn't it suck if Sony or Google decided you can only play certain file formats? Well they literally did this in the past with DVD players not playing all formats.

8. Updates. Again -- the system retains value, if a new video or music format comes out you can bet your dollar it will just be a matter of updating the software.

9. I don't like when companies try to force proprietary cables or things on users -- Thunderbolt, Firewire, special Proprietary Sony Memory Stick, etc... They ALWAYS fail and are not consumer-first.

There's probably a billion other reasons I could come up with but those are my first.

Comment

>35W TDP
                The obvious question is: What huge massive cooler beyond overrated could be slammed on this one to run it fanless? I'm open to suggestions. I'm guessing there's some 140W TDP rated ones that would handle 35W just fine without a fan..

I (ab)used a AM1 socket Athlon 2GHz quad-core APU for a HTPC for some years. Fanless (overpowered) PSU, SSD and passive heatsink on the APU. That system couldn't into 4k content so it got outdated. The awesomeness of pressing the power button and only a light indicates if it's on or off since there is no noise is immense and can't be overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  1. ... 9.
                  Amen. To all the points.

As interesting as some ARM / ... device would be, they're still ridden with blobs (more than x86, unless maybe you're okay to have only 70% driver support and your GPU runs with some kind of VESA-driver, entirely unaccelerated), built-in-obsoleteness, no upgrade possible, no re-use of PCI/PCIe cards, because it usually is some kind of SoC board (yes, x86/amd64 also has a lot of highly integrated stuff, but still there are CPU/APU sockets, internal and external bus systems).
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    >35W TDP
                    The obvious question is: What huge massive cooler beyond overrated could be slammed on this one to run it fanless? I'm open to suggestions. I'm guessing there's some 140W TDP rated ones that would handle 35W just fine without a fan..

I (ab)used a AM1 socket Athlon 2GHz quad-core APU for a HTPC for some years. Fanless (overpowered) PSU, SSD and passive heatsink on the APU. That system couldn't into 4k content so it got outdated. The awesomeness of pressing the power button and only a light indicates if it's on or off since there is no noise is immense and can't be overrated.
                    I'll have to deal with that later, too. Until now I had some socket AM2 computer entirely fanless (wait, no, a super-silent PSU), but even the GPU was passively cooled. I used a BTF-95 cooler (sadly no longer made), which could iirc. even handle up tp 95 W TDP fanless (BTF-90 was the same but w. fan option). Entirely copper-made monster, lots of fins (has benefits and drawbacks), heatpipes and stuff. Worked also later on AM3/AM3+ boards.
                    I think there should be some coolers around also for AM4 (or AM4-adaptable AM3 coolers), or one could just disable the fan if you have a good base cooler and relatively low TDP.
                    My AM1 Kabini is iirc. with stock fan but virtually inaudible. I thought the video units could handle 4K, but maybe just for supported video codecs and only sheer resolution and video, 4k-gaming is obviously not the target of these little ones. But I have no 4K screens or content so I can't really check.

But I am also considering some Athlon 2xx or maybe some Ryzen 3 2200G as a fairly strong office / HTPC computer. I still wonder if AMD will throw some quadcore 25 - 35W TDP Kabini successor to the market.

edit: Just checked good old Radeon Feature Matrix, seems Kabini's UVD 4.2 can only handle up to 2K.

The next one, UVD 5.0, can handle 4K.
                    Last edited by Adarion; 22 December 2018, 06:27 AM.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X