No announcement yet.

AMD Rolling Out Two More Sub-$75 Zen + Vega 3 Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200ge -> mostly fine, specially these days when intel chips often goes for more than msrp. (If intel was selling at msrp, then it would be a much harder sell, specially for gaming)
    220ge -> 18% higher price for a 6% clock speed increase. Great value for money /s
    240ge -> 36% higher price for 9.4% higher clock. I can't see any valid reason to get this cpu instead of the 2200g

My take on these two new processors; They are aimed at the OEM market who can now brag about higher MHz numbers in their advertisement targeting the less knowledgeable users .

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      2. I'm sick of all of the advertisements in the free apps -- last time I checked you can't even have a decent file manager without bending over for the spyware/adware.
      Check out Simple File Manager. You can get i through F-Droid. It is open source. Not affiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
        >35W TDP
        The obvious question is: What huge massive cooler beyond overrated could be slammed on this one to run it fanless? I'm open to suggestions. I'm guessing there's some 140W TDP rated ones that would handle 35W just fine without a fan..

I (ab)used a AM1 socket Athlon 2GHz quad-core APU for a HTPC for some years. Fanless (overpowered) PSU, SSD and passive heatsink on the APU. That system couldn't into 4k content so it got outdated. The awesomeness of pressing the power button and only a light indicates if it's on or off since there is no noise is immense and can't be overrated.
        Bigger brother Arctic Alpine - cheapest solution i guess

On AM1 246g of aluminium was enough:

End of Life products from ARCTIC | Here you will find products that are no longer available and produced | Visit our webshop for our latest products | Unbeatable prices only at our ARCTIC webshop

For AM4 GE that is 557g

The ARCTIC Alpine AM4 Passive is a passive and thus completely silent cooling solution for AMD AM4 CPU.

But same price... there are beter solutions based on copper pipes too, but that can't be this cheap

Last edited by dungeon; 22 December 2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scns View Post

Check out Simple File Manager. You can get i through F-Droid. It is open source. Not affiliated.
          Ghost commander is also on Android 😊

Comment

So that is why AMD originally locked the 200GE against overclocking, to upsell the 220GE and 240GE that have slightly higher CPU clocks and nothing else over the 200GE.

At the very least, AMD could have increased the number of GCUs to 4-6. Very disappointing, AMD.

Comment

Working...
            X