Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODROID-XU4: Much Better Performance Than The Raspberry Pi Plus USB3 & Gigabit Ethernet @ $60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODROID-XU4: Much Better Performance Than The Raspberry Pi Plus USB3 & Gigabit Ethernet @ $60

Phoronix: ODROID-XU4: Much Better Performance Than The Raspberry Pi Plus USB3 & Gigabit Ethernet @ $60

Hardkernel recently sent over the ODROUD-XU4 for benchmarking. This ARM SBC that just measures in at about 82 x 58 x 22 mm offers much better performance than many of the sub-$100 ARM SBCs while also featuring dual USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, eMMC storage, and is software compatible with the older XU3 ARM SBCs. Here's a look at the performance of the ODROID-XU4 compared to a variety of other single board computers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    With the multi-threaded TTSIOD 3D Renderer, to much surprise the ODROID XU4 was capable of coming out just ahead of the Jetson TX2. The TX2 as a reminder is a dual NVIDIA Denver core plus four ARM Cortex-A57 cores.
    Nope, it doesn't, because none of the boards were capable of running TTSIOD and as such there is no graph.

Update: never mind. What a freaking blunder I made
    Last edited by tildearrow; 14 December 2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, this could be the first ~$60 board that could run xscpu64 emulation at 100% speed (Commodore 64 with SuperCPU card emulation from Vice emulator, very processor intensive). If it could do that, it would be a buy from me...

Comment

And now it's on sale for $49: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odro...ited-quantity/

Comment

Hardkernel recently sent over the ODROUD-XU4 for benchmarking.
          Typo on product name in 1st paragraph.

Comment

I have some comparisons to cheap x86 systems if you are interested

Comment

Hmm, what is the mainline status on this ? If everything runs without blobs, it would be an instabuy. If everything but the graphics does, it's very tempting. I'll consider it if the payload is a binary, as with the raspi.

If it's locked on an obscure kernel version, I'll probably pass, though...

I'd be also curious to see the power draw, and especially the idle power draw

Comment

Why is the Odroid C1+ in this comparison, and not the Odroid C2? The C2 has appeared in other Phoronix benchmarks, and it's a newer product (newer than the XU4 even).

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  I'd be also curious to see the power draw, and especially the idle power draw
                  It's been a few years since I've measured it, but with the "ondemand" governor it idled at about 1.5 watts. With the "performance" governor (default back then) it was about 2.7 watts. The C2 idles at about 1.2 watts with the ondemand governor, and I can get it to draw as little as 650 mW at idle by employing tricks of varying severety (limiting Ethernet to 100baseTX is worth about 250 mW, for example, and slowing down the RAM an additional 100 mW)

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                    I have some comparisons to cheap x86 systems if you are interested
                    Thanks for that article! Great work! I always have to remind myself when looking for low-power systems that there are many x86 systems which can do the job as well [and arguably better]. Even for a little more money [and energy usage], hardware support from all of the major OS's is miles ahead of most ARM boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X