Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODROID-XU4: Much Better Performance Than The Raspberry Pi Plus USB3 & Gigabit Ethernet @ $60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mczak
    replied
    Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
    I have some comparisons to cheap x86 systems if you are interested
    Nice! Albeit something seems to be very wrong with the Celeron N3160. This 4-core Celeron (Airmont core, Braswell) isn't exactly a speed demon, but it ought to be a lot faster - no way this chip is 20 times slower than the newest Goldmont Plus based Pentium...

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ODROID-XU4: Much Better Performance Than The Raspberry Pi Plus USB3 & Gigabit Ethernet @ $60

Hardkernel recently sent over the ODROUD-XU4 for benchmarking. This ARM SBC that just measures in at about 82 x 58 x 22 mm offers much better performance than many of the sub-$100 ARM SBCs while also featuring dual USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, eMMC storage, and is software compatible with the older XU3 ARM SBCs. Here's a look at the performance of the ODROID-XU4 compared to a variety of other single board computers.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27226
    I am really glad that Odroid, through Hardkernel, made sure you finally got your very own XU-4; I knew you'd find it to be an 'eye-opener'. Now I'm going to get my very own, for $49 before they change their minds. I'll put the savings towards the purchase of an eMMC SSD module. Which leads to...

One question: what did you use as the 'bulk storage' for these tests?--an SD card or an eMMC module? And if an eMMC module was used, what size?

Many thanks for all your hard work, and

Warmest regards...

Leave a comment:

• edenist
    replied
    Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
    Thanks for that article! Great work! I always have to remind myself when looking for low-power systems that there are many x86 systems which can do the job as well [and arguably better]. Even for a little more money [and energy usage], hardware support from all of the major OS's is miles ahead of most ARM boards.

Leave a comment:

• campbell
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    I'd be also curious to see the power draw, and especially the idle power draw
    It's been a few years since I've measured it, but with the "ondemand" governor it idled at about 1.5 watts. With the "performance" governor (default back then) it was about 2.7 watts. The C2 idles at about 1.2 watts with the ondemand governor, and I can get it to draw as little as 650 mW at idle by employing tricks of varying severety (limiting Ethernet to 100baseTX is worth about 250 mW, for example, and slowing down the RAM an additional 100 mW)

Leave a comment:

• campbell
    replied
    Why is the Odroid C1+ in this comparison, and not the Odroid C2? The C2 has appeared in other Phoronix benchmarks, and it's a newer product (newer than the XU4 even).

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Hmm, what is the mainline status on this ? If everything runs without blobs, it would be an instabuy. If everything but the graphics does, it's very tempting. I'll consider it if the payload is a binary, as with the raspi.

If it's locked on an obscure kernel version, I'll probably pass, though...

I'd be also curious to see the power draw, and especially the idle power draw

Leave a comment:

• riklaunim
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Herem
    replied
    Hardkernel recently sent over the ODROUD-XU4 for benchmarking.
    Typo on product name in 1st paragraph.

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    And now it's on sale for $49: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odro...ited-quantity/

Leave a comment:

• zzarko
    replied
    Hmmm, this could be the first ~$60 board that could run xscpu64 emulation at 100% speed (Commodore 64 with SuperCPU card emulation from Vice emulator, very processor intensive). If it could do that, it would be a buy from me...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X