Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODROID-XU4: Much Better Performance Than The Raspberry Pi Plus USB3 & Gigabit Ethernet @ $60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• techzilla
    replied
    No UEFI/ACPI = No purchase.

I have a piles of powerful embedded boards rotting in my closets, I'm not buying a single one until they provide a real general computing platform. They just keep choosing not to do so, even after ARM commissioned a study saying it was of paramount importance, and they also have multiple boot specifications to choose from depending on the targeted market.

I don't buy non standard boards any longer.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

An android tv box is cheaper and better option. TV boxes do have casing and power units.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnYBvMQfjM
    I bought one of those and then left it on the shelf. It is very hard to figure out what Linux to run: one that isn't a pile of hacks with limited future.
    If I remember correctly, the s912 has no open drivers for the video and so these hacky Linux images use VNC in some fashion to do graphics.
    My hats off to those who were able to do the hacking but little PCs (eg. Zotac Zbox) Just Work.

Leave a comment:

• cRaZy-bisCuiT
    replied
    Game Benchmarks with Emulation Station or something similar would be fine!

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied

Servers use NTP. https://wiki.debian.org/NTP
    My clients places have unreliable internet and unreliable electricity. So, rtc is quite important.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied

An android tv box is cheaper and better option. TV boxes do have casing and power units.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnYBvMQfjM
    Unfortunately, most of them don't have RTC (cheaper models). Amlogic 912, 905 variant is user friendlier to flash linux on it; but these CPU usually come without RTC. Odroid C2 didn't have RTC too. U have to use RTC shield on the 40 GPIO pin.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
    That's a really nice part, 4GB RAM is a nice option too! Doesn't look like the drivers are upstreamed though, and Arch Linux ARM doesn't support it.
    Still on linux 4.4 unfortunately. If you want mainline kernel (or close to mainline), hardkernel products (odroid) has a bigger chance for that.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by willmore View Post

I think the lesson is that 64 bit ARM cores with the crypto extension can crank a lot of AES. Those are some very impressive numbers.
    With very competitive prices if it complement your use cases, minus support (x86/x64 can use almost all linux distros)

Leave a comment:

• riklaunim
    replied
    Originally posted by Enverex View Post
    Not sure how you managed it, but something's completely wrong with that N3160 system, it should be a decent amount faster than the ancient AMD E-350, not multiple times slower. You need to make sure something's not wrong with that machine because as it stands right now, it's highly misleading.
    Yes, those boards may not represent full CPU potential. Should have used board names on those benchmarks. I still have to check it but it may be that on that board N3160 has a TDP scenario set that makes him clock much lower.

Leave a comment:

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    That's a really nice part, 4GB RAM is a nice option too! Doesn't look like the drivers are upstreamed though, and Arch Linux ARM doesn't support it.

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    Another SBC bench with numbers on 7z, AES-128 (16 byte), AES 256 (16 KB), memcpy, memset, kH/s, what distro and kernel the bench using: https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/sbc-...ter/Results.md
    I think the lesson is that 64 bit ARM cores with the crypto extension can crank a lot of AES. Those are some very impressive numbers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X