No announcement yet.

The Libre RISC-V Vulkan Accelerator Will Be Targeting 25 FPS @ 720p, 5~6 GFLOPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Libre RISC-V Vulkan Accelerator Will Be Targeting 25 FPS @ 720p, 5~6 GFLOPs

Phoronix: The Libre RISC-V Vulkan Accelerator Will Be Targeting 25 FPS @ 720p, 5~6 GFLOPs

For those interested in the proposed quad-core RISC-V Libre SoC that is intended to go in-step with the Rust-written Kazan for offering Vulkan support, the initial performance target has now been shared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i doubt 6 gflops is even remotely close to doing 720p25fps, have in mind that a rx 580 is almost exactly 1000 (!) times faster

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
      i doubt 6 gflops is even remotely close to doing 720p25fps, have in mind that a rx 580 is almost exactly 1000 (!) times faster
      Glxgears? Yeah, it seems unlikely based upon what workload they are referring to for the 720p @ 25fps, but at least for now happy there is work going into Kazan at least and would love to be proved wrong about the potential for the Libre RISC-V.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Glxgears? Yeah, it seems unlikely based upon what workload they are referring to for the 720p @ 25fps, but at least for now happy there is work going into Kazan at least and would love to be proved wrong about the potential for the Libre RISC-V.
        i was thinking about glxgears too

Comment

Still, I expect a 28nm quad-RISC-V design would be fairly small, so if you're designing a 3D appliance UI and don't want to pay for a conventional embedded GPU...

I expect this is more of a bring-up platform than anything useful right now. It's about 1/5th of the performance of a RPi VideoCore IV.

Comment

I think this is a reasonable goal considering this is first attempt at this cross-section of libre, GPU, Risc-V, and Vulkan. The HDL world is very hard for people to break into, so any reference designs coming out of this project will be useful for that alone.

Comment

5-6 GFLOPS on the Libre RISC-V Vulkan accelerator.

Compare this to Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 with:
              20,137 GFLOPS FP16 half
              10,068 GFLOPS FP32 float
              314.6 GFLOPS FP64 double

Libre RISC-V Vulkan accelerator at 100 MPixel/s, compare this with Nvidia GeForce 2080 RTX with 109.4 GPixel/s.
              Last edited by uid313; 05 December 2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

720p@25 is basic HD video, who needs more anyway - if you don't have fast moving anything that is enough

Last edited by dungeon; 05 December 2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

720p@25 what? Surely not gaming. Maybe just displaying the Gnome wallpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                    720p@25 what? Surely not gaming.
                    That translates to 224*224@60Hz, which was pretty much gaming standard 35 years ago

It is funny that bellow 4 Mhz CPU were doing this, but OK... now we need 4 core @ 800 Mhz to accomplish the same, at more depth, at more colors
                    Last edited by dungeon; 05 December 2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X