No announcement yet.

The Libre RISC-V Vulkan Accelerator Will Be Targeting 25 FPS @ 720p, 5~6 GFLOPs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Libre RISC-V Vulkan Accelerator Will Be Targeting 25 FPS @ 720p, 5~6 GFLOPs

Phoronix: The Libre RISC-V Vulkan Accelerator Will Be Targeting 25 FPS @ 720p, 5~6 GFLOPs

For those interested in the proposed quad-core RISC-V Libre SoC that is intended to go in-step with the Rust-written Kazan for offering Vulkan support, the initial performance target has now been shared...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ormance-Target

i doubt 6 gflops is even remotely close to doing 720p25fps, have in mind that a rx 580 is almost exactly 1000 (!) times faster

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
      i doubt 6 gflops is even remotely close to doing 720p25fps, have in mind that a rx 580 is almost exactly 1000 (!) times faster
      Glxgears? Yeah, it seems unlikely based upon what workload they are referring to for the 720p @ 25fps, but at least for now happy there is work going into Kazan at least and would love to be proved wrong about the potential for the Libre RISC-V.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Glxgears? Yeah, it seems unlikely based upon what workload they are referring to for the 720p @ 25fps, but at least for now happy there is work going into Kazan at least and would love to be proved wrong about the potential for the Libre RISC-V.
        i was thinking about glxgears too

Comment

Still, I expect a 28nm quad-RISC-V design would be fairly small, so if you're designing a 3D appliance UI and don't want to pay for a conventional embedded GPU...

I expect this is more of a bring-up platform than anything useful right now. It's about 1/5th of the performance of a RPi VideoCore IV.

Comment

I think this is a reasonable goal considering this is first attempt at this cross-section of libre, GPU, Risc-V, and Vulkan. The HDL world is very hard for people to break into, so any reference designs coming out of this project will be useful for that alone.

Comment

5-6 GFLOPS on the Libre RISC-V Vulkan accelerator.

Compare this to Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 with:
              20,137 GFLOPS FP16 half
              10,068 GFLOPS FP32 float
              314.6 GFLOPS FP64 double

Libre RISC-V Vulkan accelerator at 100 MPixel/s, compare this with Nvidia GeForce 2080 RTX with 109.4 GPixel/s.
              Last edited by uid313; 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

[email protected] is basic HD video, who needs more anyway - if you don't have fast moving anything that is enough

Last edited by dungeon; 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

[email protected] what? Surely not gaming. Maybe just displaying the Gnome wallpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                    [email protected] what? Surely not gaming.
                    That translates to 224*[email protected], which was pretty much gaming standard 35 years ago

It is funny that bellow 4 Mhz CPU were doing this, but OK... now we need 4 core @ 800 Mhz to accomplish the same, at more depth, at more colors
                    Last edited by dungeon; 12-05-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X