Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Look At The Open-Source Talos II POWER9 Performance Against x86_64 Server CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Open-Source Talos II POWER9 Performance Against x86_64 Server CPUs

Phoronix: A Look At The Open-Source Talos II POWER9 Performance Against x86_64 Server CPUs

In the benchmarks earlier this month looking at the Talos II POWER9 dual 22-core performance its performance was compared to various AMD Threadripper and Intel Core i9 CPUs. They were used as comparison points since all of those CPUs sport four memory channels, including the Sforza POWER9 CPUs, while IBM caters the larger LaGrange/Monza POWER9 modules with eight memory channels as competition to Xeon and EPYC. But for those wondering how the POWER9 Sforza performance compares to Intel Xeon and AMD EPYC processors, here are some benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any performance per cost results?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      I didn't include any due to difficult to determine reasonable values.... I could do them simply based upon retail CPU pricing, but then that would be skewed due to Talos II motherboard being more costly than x86_64 motherboards. Or I could include the particular motherboards + CPU pricing, but the motherboards used is somewhat arbitrary based upon what I have / was sent out. So particularly in the x86_64 space the TCO can vary quite a bit based upon motherboard and other components.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        This. It really places it into perspective. Also some other test i propose you include: you should have a standard vm profile. like, X images over KVM running in parallel the same task, and power consumption.

Comment

Pretty odd mix of very good and very bad results.

Comment

Well... the only benchmarks POWER9 seems to perform very well is when the dual cpu configuration matters. But then it is always slower than intel/amd. It's astonishing that they can compete with both but under the line it doesn't appear to be an attractive purchase in any scenario...

Comment

Many of these benchmarks dont scale with core count at all which begs the question: Are these the figures people care about when they buy 20+ core systems?

Comment

ITT: RISC fanboys wake up to reality.

Comment

An OS Running on this processors, is very difficult to slow it down at a critical point.
                  They have so many threads that, is take hours and hours..

IBM should optimize OpenMP, and OpenACC on this processors..

Comment

What am I supposed to do to get an invoice to my company when buying from the Talos website? There is not way to insert a VAT ID and they just don't answer emails...
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X