Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Look At The Open-Source Talos II POWER9 Performance Against x86_64 Server CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    What am I supposed to do to get an invoice to my company when buying from the Talos website? There is not way to insert a VAT ID and they just don't answer emails...
    Raptor guy here. So yes, we do answer Email -- overall volumes are high and responses might be delayed a bit but if you Emailed a few days ago, it's very possible the Email is either not getting through or was inadvertently put to the side. If you want, you can direct message me the invoice number and I'll raise an internal issue to see what happened. Alternatively, our main phone number is listed on our site at https://raptorcs.com/content/base/contact.html .

Rest assured that if you tried to order during the special pricing, we'll still honor that. Technical glitches don't exclude anyone from the special pricing offer.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

They don't answer to emails, that's the problem. Do you have a phone number or any other kind of contact?
      I've already placed my order but I just can't pay until they fix the billing.
      If you don't hear from them in a day or so, email me and I can refer you to my point of contact that should answer.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

Raptor guy here. So yes, we do answer Email -- overall volumes are high and responses might be delayed a bit but if you Emailed a few days ago, it's very possible the Email is either not getting through or was inadvertently put to the side. If you want, you can direct message me the invoice number and I'll raise an internal issue to see what happened. Alternatively, our main phone number is listed on our site at https://raptorcs.com/content/base/contact.html .

Rest assured that if you tried to order during the special pricing, we'll still honor that. Technical glitches don't exclude anyone from the special pricing offer.
        Hi madscientist159, I'm glad to see you
        I've emailed on Friday (and later again on Saturday) so it's possible that they missed it. I've also sent you a PM on Sunday asking for informations.
        I've placed two orders (1324 and 1331) because I thought I did something wrong the first time (I was also very curious about how many of them you were selling, turned out to be about ~5 Blackbirds per hour, congrats ).
        Besides the company invoice, I also need to know what's the 73.89$ "International order taxes and fees".
        I thought I won't have to pay the Italian VAT once the packet goes through the Italian customs because I've already paid it in the 73.89$ "taxes and fees", but several forum users suggested it's just a random tax to increase Talos margin.
        I've imported many goods from the USA and I've never encountered anything like that: if it turns out it doesn't cover any real taxes I will be very disappointed

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If you don't hear from them in a day or so, email me and I can refer you to my point of contact that should answer.
        Thanks Michael, very appreciated.

EDIT: if you need my email, it's
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Can it run steam? xD

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
            Can it run steam? xD
            It can, with qemu. Jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if it was largely sufficient to run some of the classic point&click games you can get on steam or GOG.

Comment

Hi Darkbasic, I'm not from Raptor but asked similar questions and received a response. The fee (processing fee I presume) does not include any taxes - it's well under the Italian VAT rate (casual Google says it's 22%?) you'd be paying plus any import duties you might have to pay. I'd recommend using the UPS shipping to ensure that the Raptor system is fully insured and easily passes customs, even if it's more expensive than USPS (this will involve making a separate payment to UPS, but it's usually better than the nightmare of using the default local post carrier)

I didn't commit to the pre-order in the end but it continues to tempt, I'm still keeping a keen eye on progress and will look again once Blackbird actually ships. Also, as I'm in the UK, who knows what the import situation will be during the Brexit transition period.

In the meantime my priority is to sort other life stuff, and maybe contribute to the very early ppc64be (PowerMac) OpenBSD port. I would like a modern, open, non Intel system in the future.

Comment

I didn't include any due to difficult to determine reasonable values.... I could do them simply based upon retail CPU pricing, but then that would be skewed due to Talos II motherboard being more costly than x86_64 motherboards. Or I could include the particular motherboards + CPU pricing, but the motherboards used is somewhat arbitrary based upon what I have / was sent out. So particularly in the x86_64 space the TCO can vary quite a bit based upon motherboard and other components.
                What do you normally do?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

What do you normally do?
                  For x86_64 CPUs, usually just the CPU cost since there at least Intel and AMD motherboards can be found for roughly similar price and other components coming in the same.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For x86_64 CPUs, usually just the CPU cost since there at least Intel and AMD motherboards can be found for roughly similar price and other components coming in the same.
                    Maybe two graphs, one for total cost and another for CPU only

Comment

I wanted to let you know that they finally got in touch with me. I still didn't figure out how to get an invoice to my company, but at least they released some informations about the additional costs involved:

The international order fee covers our increased expenses in shipping internationally. This includes things like the extra time and labor required to generate the customs paperwork and register the shipment with the appropriate export agencies, insurance on the package(s), added costs of support for international systems, etc. It is not something that increases our margins at all, in fact, oftentimes direct international shipments decrease them. We're simply splitting out a direct cost to us that would normally be included in shipping so as to reduce confusion.

We are investigating the potential for EU resale, but especially for Blackbird this would not be able to happen until the preorders have shipped. We also do not know how much markup a EU-based reseller would need to add to cover their own expenses, etc. at this time.
                      I really hope they'll get an EU reseller.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X