Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The $25 Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ Performance

Phoronix: Benchmarking The $25 Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ Performance

Released last week was the Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ as their latest ARM SBC coming in at the $25 USD price point and their last board release before doing a redesign. I was able to snag a Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ for $25 with availability appearing to be better than some of the past Raspberry Pi releases. Here are some initial benchmarks of the RPi 3 Model A Plus compared to a few other ARM boards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Zerobit ethernet

Comment

Probably best & small per buck currently is NanoPI NEO4 with BF price of $39.99

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.ph...tegory&path=69

Although, better do not run that RK3399 without large heatsink

Or maybe that NanoPi Fire3-LTS, Octo-Core for $29.99 - no idea about that one really
      Last edited by dungeon; 23 November 2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I've asked this question before; never got an answer; and think that it deserves being addressed--

Why, in tests such as this, do you NOT include the Odroid XU-4? (Please don't say that you DO include the Odroid C2; there is absolutely no comparison between the two).
        You include the Tinkerboard, and EXCLUDE the XU-4, which has comparable--if not, in some cases, better--specs than the Tinkerboard.

Why do you exclude the Odroid XU-4 from your comparisons and tests?

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          I've asked this question before; never got an answer; and think that it deserves being addressed--

Why, in tests such as this, do you NOT include the Odroid XU-4? (Please don't say that you DO include the Odroid C2; there is absolutely no comparison between the two).
          You include the Tinkerboard, and EXCLUDE the XU-4, which has comparable--if not, in some cases, better--specs than the Tinkerboard.

Why do you exclude the Odroid XU-4 from your comparisons and tests?
          The answer is very simple: I don't have an ODROID XU-4.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It would be cool to get also some kind of lowend x86 machine (intel atom perhaps?) for comparison in these tests. Just to get an idea of what kinds of performance can be expected from such arm boards.

Comment

no wired LAN
              I wonder if they call removing the better and more secure networking type an improvement.
              For me, buying a desktop or server computer without ethernet seems very stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                I wonder if they call removing the better and more secure networking type an improvement.
                For me, buying a desktop or server computer without ethernet seems very stupid.
                Pi A+ boards aren't aimed at either. They're embedded development boards for hobbyist and educational projects which wouldn't need or can't use hardwired ethernet.

Comment

#5--

"...Why do you exclude the Odroid XU-4 from your comparisons and tests?"--danmcgrew
                  "The answer is very simple: I don't have an ODROID XU-4."--Michael Larabel
                  Very good answer; one of the best, as a matter of fact. Thank you for your very rapid response.

In light of the fact that exposure on this well-read and highly-valued--for your extremely objective approach (one of the few remaining, by the way)--venues, do you think that an appeal to Odroid for a test sample would have a positive result? I would think that Odroid would jump at the chance to have you--Phoronix--run a comparison of their XU-4 alongside these other machines.

Please keep us informed; I feel so strongly about this that I--even with my limited resources--might consider buying one and lending it to you for testing purposes if Odroid is not keen on this matter ( I have been considering the XU-4 for quite a while as it is one of the very few single-board computers which appears to have a chance at being the basis for a 'real' low-cost desktop computer; this just might be the excuse I need).

Keep up your very good work; it is sorely needed in today's environment.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                    #5--

"...Why do you exclude the Odroid XU-4 from your comparisons and tests?"--danmcgrew
                    "The answer is very simple: I don't have an ODROID XU-4."--Michael Larabel
                    Very good answer; one of the best, as a matter of fact. Thank you for your very rapid response.

In light of the fact that exposure on this well-read and highly-valued--for your extremely objective approach (one of the few remaining, by the way)--venues, do you think that an appeal to Odroid for a test sample would have a positive result? I would think that Odroid would jump at the chance to have you--Phoronix--run a comparison of their XU-4 alongside these other machines.

Please keep us informed; I feel so strongly about this that I--even with my limited resources--might consider buying one and lending it to you for testing purposes if Odroid is not keen on this matter ( I have been considering the XU-4 for quite a while as it is one of the very few single-board computers which appears to have a chance at being the basis for a 'real' low-cost desktop computer; this just might be the excuse I need).

Keep up your very good work; it is sorely needed in today's environment.
                    IF the community can convince ODROID/Hardkernel to send one over, great. I don't happen to have any contacts at Hardkernel/ODROID and don't have time to chase down every possible vendor to ask for review samples... But if anyone can get Hardkernel to contact me or whatever, happy to test one. Shouldn't be that hard especially with the relatively low cost of their boards, I just don't have the time.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X