Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Next Horizon: Zen 2, 7nm Vega, AMD On Amazon EC2

Phoronix: AMD Next Horizon: Zen 2, 7nm Vega, AMD On Amazon EC2

AMD's "Next Horizon" investor day event is taking place right now in San Francisco. Here are the highlights from this AMD event as we approach the end of 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

World first, world first...

Supports PCI-E 4.0... you can combine Instinct MI60 with Talos II
    Last edited by dungeon; 06 November 2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Given that first generation Zen had all kind of hardware problems, is it recommended to wait until Zen 2++ and avoid initial Zen 2? Zen+ is surely a lot better than initial Zen. I upgraded from 1700X to 2700X and all the hardware problems were completely gone.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Given that first generation Zen had all kind of hardware problems, is it recommended to wait until Zen 2++ and avoid initial Zen 2? Zen+ is surely a lot better than initial Zen. I upgraded from 1700X to 2700X and all the hardware problems were completely gone.
        Zen 2 isn't an entirely new architecture. They're basically just improving upon the errors of the first. And even then, AMD was pretty quick to fix some major issues of their first batches. So, I personally wouldn't say waiting for Zen "2++" is worth it.

To put it in another perspective, the architecture is similar enough to work with the original socket and chipset.

Comment

The last point / sentence was especially interesting. ("We're commited to free / open source software.")
          Along with spectre mitigations and even Zen 4 design on the horizon. And mentioning ECC. And other things.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            These were AM4 problems, new platform - new problems you know.

You won't have such a problems until DDR5 switch and new platform which is somewhere after year 2020+ likely
            Last edited by dungeon; 06 November 2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Almost looked like PC would drop PCIe 4.0 in favor for PCIe 5.0 in 2019.
              Really curious about running Infinity Fabric between GPU<->CPU.
              Can you combine links? Will anyone use this instead of PCIe?
              This would be the equivalent of NVLink, albeit a fair bit less complex on the routing side.

Comment

looks like AMD has taken back it's leadership crown in 64 bit processor design.

Comment

I'd love an answer to if they will support coreboot better - aka https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...n_ryzen_2xxxx/
                  With the impending release of the new Threadripper 2 Processor, Now seems like a good time to request an update on the Coreboot / Libreboot status...

Comment

How does Vega 7nm perform in double-precision?

Comment

Working...
                    X