SiFive Unleashes New 7-Series RISC-V Cores With Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiFive Unleashes New 7-Series RISC-V Cores With Better Performance

Phoronix: SiFive Unleashes New 7-Series RISC-V Cores With Better Performance

SiFive this week announced their 7-Series RISC-V cores with the 32-bit E7, 64-bit S7, and 64-bit U7 series. These new RISC-V parts aren't yet capable of running up against the fastest ARM Cortex CPU cores available today, but they are much more powerful than the previous-gen SiFive cores...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More powerful cores already? that's fast - let's hope they get up to Apple A12 level of performance soon

Comment

Interesting, so they're up to 2014-2016 mobile cpu power levels now. That's not bad considering things haven't really moved that much since then.

Personally I would really want to see a bigger core though. Something to compete with intel's i5 class (mid range) desktop cpus would give me a hardon for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Interesting, so they're up to 2014-2016 mobile cpu power levels now. That's not bad considering things haven't really moved that much since then.
        Huh? iPhone 6 in 2014 was getting ~1300 in Geekbench 4 and latest iPhone is at ~4800. And iPhone 6 ARM CPU is just smoking Cortex-A55.

Getting to Cortex-A55 performance level is not that difficult though I agree SiFive are doing well! Getting to latest ARM Ltd and Apple performance level will take much longer.

Comment

Are these cores still based on the open source Rocket core (like IIRC the cores used in the unleashed dev board, U5x?), or are they some proprietary design?

Comment

Without interesting price as Odroid C2, ... will never sell.
            And I-Class I6500 Multiprocessor Core cheaper hardware?
            Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
              Huh? iPhone 6 in 2014 was getting ~1300 in Geekbench 4 and latest iPhone is at ~4800. And iPhone 6 ARM CPU is just smoking Cortex-A55.

Getting to Cortex-A55 performance level is not that difficult though I agree SiFive are doing well! Getting to latest ARM Ltd and Apple performance level will take much longer.
              I read that it's performance compares to Arm’s Cortex M7, Cortex-R7/R8 cores. The former being from 2014, the latter from 2016.

Comment

I read that it's performance compares to Arm’s Cortex M7, Cortex-R7/R8 cores. The former being from 2014, the latter from 2016.
                Those are not "mobile CPUs" like you said but rather deep-embedded. Those don't go in phones, except possibly as auxiliary cores (running a modem, for example), as they're 32-bit and lack an MMU.

A Cortex-A75 or A76 is far, far higher performance - either at iso-clock or in absolute terms - than the A55 the Phoronix article mentions as a comparison point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post

Those are not "mobile CPUs" like you said but rather deep-embedded. Those don't go in phones, except possibly as auxiliary cores (running a modem, for example), as they're 32-bit and lack an MMU.

A Cortex-A75 or A76 is far, far higher performance - either at iso-clock or in absolute terms - than the A55 the Phoronix article mentions as a comparison point.
                  Huh, I somehow just read Cortex and thought "phone". So you're saying it's basically a really slow CPU this? Even worse than a phone?

Comment

Huh, I somehow just read Cortex and thought "phone". So you're saying it's basically a really slow CPU this? Even worse than a phone?
                    ARM basically has two lines of phone-oriented cores - big cores (A15, then A57, then A72, then A73, then A75, then A76) and little cores (A7, then A53, then A55.) The little cores are far slower than the big cores, but are also small, cheap, and low power. Low-end phones often just use little cores for cost reasons, while midrange and higher-end devices use big cores (or a mix of big cores for performance and little cores for power efficiency, especially at idle.)

The U74 is advertised as being comparable to the A55, which is a little core. An ARM big core is far faster. This kind of comment is why I have a real problem with the RISC-V hype train.

Comment

Working...
                    X