Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 9900K Spectre Mitigation Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 9900K Spectre Mitigation Benchmarks

One of the benefits with the recently launched Core i9 9900K is hardware-based mitigations for Meltdown and L1TF/Foreshadow vulnerabilities. but mitigations are still needed for the other Spectre vulnerabilities. In this article is a look at the performance impact of still needing generic Retpolines via IBPB IBRS firmware for Spectre V2 and Speculative Store Bypass disabling (SSBD) for Spectre V4.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

​​​​​​
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    much better than before with KTPI for Meltdown mitigation

Comment

These CPUs may be renamed to CGU- Central Guessing Unit because they nich more guess result then process counting.

But It may stay GPU as of predicting is m
      just more acurate guessing...

Comment

@Michael

Would you mind including/updating the article with some AMD R7 2700X results using the same hardware and settings (apart from motherboard obviously) for comparison?

It might be particularly interesting to compare and contrast the difference in speed with the necessary mitigations in place?

My next system is going to be based around an 8-core/16 thread CPU and will eventually run Linux. Therefore this kind of benchmark is very much of interest to me.

Comment

phoronix
          Can you do the same with something like a Ryzen 2700X

Last edited by xnor; 31 October 2018, 02:10 PM. Reason: message...

Comment

Intel claimed that they've fixed their hardware against some vulnerabilities with the 9900k. It would've been interesting to see the performance impact compared to CPUs like the 8700k. This article on it's own isn't very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              Intel claimed that they've fixed their hardware against some vulnerabilities with the 9900k. It would've been interesting to see the performance impact compared to CPUs like the 8700k. This article on it's own isn't very informative.
              Huh? Previous intel chips have been benchmarked numerous times for Spectre/Meltdown performance impact, no need to rehash it at this point. This article is very interesting indeed, at least for those who have been paying attention to the issue.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 01 November 2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

An interesting comparison would be the same CPU with SMT turned off. In this configuration, the standard kernel should be able to figure out that no mitigations are needed.

Comment

Working...
                X