The AMD Threadripper ECC DDR4-2666 Testing That Wasn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but why RDIMM cannot be used? Because Crucial has some 2993MHz ECC RDIMM.
    RDIMM = Registered. The motherboard must be designed specifically to interface with RDIMMs. Usually it's the 2+ socket rack-mount servers that require RDIMMs.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Unfortunately discontinued everywhere I looked. And this RMA'ing with Nemix doesn't look like it is going to pan out as they keep questioning me when I am trying to RMA it....
    Sounds like this "Nemix" outfit is to be avoided going forward.

FWIW, I've had to RMA a few times over the years with Crucial, and the experience was A+ Excellent every time. Each time I've called them, I get a technically savvy native English speaker (A huge plus these days) and it takes only a few minutes to complete the process. They want to walk you through troubleshooting, but as soon as you mention memtest86+ errors, it's like an RMA express lane. For this reason, I *only* buy from Crucial now. If Crucial doesn't have it in stock, I wait until they do. I've bought everything from laptop SODIMMs for my personal laptop, to $200,000 worth of HP-UX Itanium server memory from Crucial (for work) and never had a compatibility problem.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 31 October 2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I'm currently running the cheapest Kingston DDR4-2133 ECC ram on my Ryzen 1800X system and it works perfectly fine at 2666 MTs with standard-timings and standard voltage.
      When I'm running it at 2933 MHz I get ECC errors and it's not 100% stable; increasing the voltage doesn't help.

I just RMAd my Ryzen after finally getting annoyed by the sporadic compiling segfaults, so I'll test again when I install the new 1800X that just arrived, maybe the memory controller behaves a bit better.

Comment

I'm using 4x 8GB Crucial CT8G4WFS824A, it's ECC 2400. I'm running it at 2933 Speed without any issues on my TR 1950X.

Comment

Unfortunately discontinued everywhere I looked. And this RMA'ing with Nemix doesn't look like it is going to pan out as they keep questioning me when I am trying to RMA it....
          Just insist, they sold you re-branded defective RAM. It's not like you don't have more than one motherboard to test it with. Companies who sell defective products all the time behave like gypsies, you can catch them red-handed but they will still insist they did nothing wrong. Just be hard and firm and call them out for being the scammer they are.

Comment

I would be interested to see how long it takes for Newegg to step up in public and say something about these experiences with NEMIX.

I will be especially interested to see what Newegg says if they actually do speak up.

Maybe Newegg will privately contact Michael about this situation. Anything is possible, but given Newegg's recent issues with credit card data hijacking (and I haven't bought from Newegg since before that incident made the news), I think Newegg ought to get out in front of this potentially bad Public Relations issue.

Count me as one of those people that expects a seller to stand behind what they sell and to refund your money if you are not satisfied (within reasonable limits). I would be unlikely to question Michael's experience with the product given his demonstrated and proven expertise, but as the seller I would want to know exactly what didn't work and the details of the situation so I can "pound" my sources/distributors/manufacturers over it.

In this case I don't consider NEMIX as "doing the right thing" for Michael by giving him a hard time, and that makes me question why I would want to buy NEMIX products.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              I would be interested to see how long it takes for Newegg to step up in public and say something about these experiences with NEMIX.

I will be especially interested to see what Newegg says if they actually do speak up.

Maybe Newegg will privately contact Michael about this situation. Anything is possible, but given Newegg's recent issues with credit card data hijacking (and I haven't bought from Newegg since before that incident made the news), I think Newegg ought to get out in front of this potentially bad Public Relations issue.

Count me as one of those people that expects a seller to stand behind what they sell and to refund your money if you are not satisfied (within reasonable limits). I would be unlikely to question Michael's experience with the product given his demonstrated and proven expertise, but as the seller I would want to know exactly what didn't work and the details of the situation so I can "pound" my sources/distributors/manufacturers over it.

In this case I don't consider NEMIX as "doing the right thing" for Michael by giving him a hard time, and that makes me question why I would want to buy NEMIX products.
              @NewEggService told me to DM them on Twitter. I did earlier today. So far I haven't heard anything at all from them.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@NewEggService told me to DM them on Twitter. I did earlier today. So far I haven't heard anything at all from them.
                That's pretty sad, really, when the best a site like Newegg can do is tell you to get on Twitter.

Newegg should suspend order placement to non-responsive sellers. I almost never bought from "marketplace sellers" on newegg. Now that I know Newegg doesn't stand behind them, I never will.

Comment

Yeah, you seem really committed to making a good TR ECC review, seeing how you didn't skimp on the quality ram from reputable manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                    Yeah, you seem really committed to making a good TR ECC review, seeing how you didn't skimp on the quality ram from reputable manufacturer.
                    A touch of sarcasm there? The way I read it, there is almost no ECC ram to be had. He went for the only solution available, no luck.... At the same time he could problably make a review about the set from the unknown DDR maker. (or rebrander)...

Kind regards.
                    B,

Comment

Thanks Michael. The effort is much appreciated and your article an eye opener into the current PITA getting ECC for Threadripper is. Maybe something like this will encourage AMD to push manufacturers into sorting this out.

Comment

Working...
                      X