Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AMD Threadripper ECC DDR4-2666 Testing That Wasn't

Phoronix: The AMD Threadripper ECC DDR4-2666 Testing That Wasn't

Recently in our forums there has been a lot of interest in Threadripper 2 builds using ECC DDR4 memory and the impact on performance, especially now with the Threadripper 2 family being rounded out by the 2920X and 2970WX. So I set out to do some DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM testing with Threadripper 2, but that hasn't turned out well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wendell over @Level1Techs might have a clue as to where you could find ECC 2999MHz DRAM that works with Threadripper.

Benchmarks:https://openbenchmarking.org/result/1810059-FO-MEMORY29908note the red graph is with ECC memory on Ubuntu just for comparison. the ECC memory was ...

I don't have the link right now but I remember there being a petition that he started, about how much you would be willing to pay for that kind of memory in order to get ECC-memory manufacturers interested in the HEDT-segment.

Comment

I use samsung 2400 ecc(M391A2K43BB1-CRC), rated at 1.2 at 1.35v it runs at 2999 without errors, on 1950x MSI x399 gaming.

Edit: My only problems was the price of the set.... more expensive than 3200 cl 14 ram.

Kind regards
      Brut.
      Last edited by Brutalix; 31 October 2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post
        I use samsung 2400 ecc(M391A2K43BB1-CRC), rated at 1.2 at 1.35v it runs at 2999 without errors, on 1950x MSI x399 gaming.
        I'm running 4x M391A1K43BB1-CRC at 3200MHz with 2700X on a ASRock X470 Gaming K4 with no problems. Timings are around 15 or 16, but I'm not sure any more since I haven't found a way to show this in Linux (decode-dimms shows garbage output). Surprisingly they do run at 1.2V still.

Pretty amazing what Samsung managed to make

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
          Timings are around 15 or 16, but I'm not sure any more since I haven't found a way to show this in Linux (decode-dimms shows garbage output).
          decode-dimms doesn't work for DDR4 but will for linux 4.20~5.0 with the new driver - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Driver-EE1004 - it was merged last week to mainline.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I ordered Nemix RAM for my Lenovo Dual-Xeon. But when it arrived, it didn't have a Nemix sticker, it was just HP branded RAM.. It was brand new.

They appear to be a RAM re-marketer, more than a RAM provider. They appear to buy unsold inventory, bin sorts or overstock from OEM's and slap a sticker on it.

I haven't had any issues with it.

Comment

I'm running 4x4GB of

Crucial Technology 4GB 288-Pin EUDIMM DDR4 (PC4-19200) Memory Module
              Unbuffered, 2666 MT/S Speed, ECC, 1.2V, 512Meg x 72, Single Ranked, x8 Based
              MFR: CT4G4WFS8266

on a Ryzen R5 1600 platform. Might be worth trying with TR.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruntbuggly View Post
                I'm running 4x4GB of

Crucial Technology 4GB 288-Pin EUDIMM DDR4 (PC4-19200) Memory Module
                Unbuffered, 2666 MT/S Speed, ECC, 1.2V, 512Meg x 72, Single Ranked, x8 Based
                MFR: CT4G4WFS8266

on a Ryzen R5 1600 platform. Might be worth trying with TR.
                Unfortunately discontinued everywhere I looked. And this RMA'ing with Nemix doesn't look like it is going to pan out as they keep questioning me when I am trying to RMA it....
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but why RDIMM cannot be used? Because Crucial has some 2993MHz ECC RDIMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately discontinued everywhere I looked... ....

or, I guess you're in Europe...

Comment

Working...
                    X