AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X & 2970WX Linux Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X & 2970WX Linux Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X & 2970WX Linux Performance Benchmarks

Beginning today the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX and 2920X processors are shipping and we are now allowed to share our performance benchmarks for these latest Zen+ Threadripper 2 processors. Here's a look at the Linux performance and related metrics for these new 16-core/32-thread and 24-core/48-thread processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another pair of killers from AMD. I hope they keep up these high thread count monsters!

It looks like linux is dominating windows again with these processors. Nice.

Comment

In the summary:
      metrics for these new 16-core/32-thread and 24-core/48-thread processors
      In the beginning of the article:
      The Threadripper 2920X is a 12-core / 14-thread processor
      Both should be 12C/24T

Thanks for these benchmarks. These new CPUs position themselves on the market without much ambiguity, in positions that reflect their price points. That's nice for everyone

Meanwhile, my 2700X is happily threading along *knocks wood*.
      Last edited by M@yeulC; 29 October 2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        In the summary:

In the beginning of the article:

Both should be 12C/24T

Thanks for these benchmarks. These new CPUs position themselves on the market without much ambiguity, in positions that reflect their price points. That's nice for everyone

Meanwhile, my 2700X is happily threading along *knocks wood*.
        Whoops thanks, typos fixed.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would like to see more floating point related workloads. A decent amount of the die area of the intel chips is dedicated to this with AVX2/AVX-512 units. The AMD Zen(+) hardware doesn't seem so hot with FP from what little information I can find online...

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post
            I would like to see more floating point related workloads. A decent amount of the die area of the intel chips is dedicated to this with AVX2/AVX-512 units. The AMD Zen(+) hardware doesn't seem so hot with FP from what little information I can find online...
            Wouldn't the raytracing benchmark qualify as such? It's also a nice memory bandwidth test, though, so maybe something more dedicated could be interesting? But I don't think you're going to see noticeable gains from AVX-512, especially the way it's implemented in Intel CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Wouldn't the raytracing benchmark qualify as such? It's also a nice memory bandwidth test, though, so maybe something more dedicated could be interesting? But I don't think you're going to see noticeable gains from AVX-512, especially the way it's implemented in Intel CPUs.
              I have seen large performance improvements going from AVX2 to AVX-512 in certain workloads, but it is always difficult to compare apples with apples in situations like this, as the AVX2 and AVX-512 platforms are very different.

Comment

I remember building Linux kernel in circa 1993 on a 486. It took about two hours IIRC. Now it's much bigger and it takes 36 seconds.

Comment

It seems in most cases, the 2970WX performs closer to the 2990WX than it does to the 2950X, despite having the same difference in core count. This doesn't especially surprise me, because I'm sure the 2970WX is a lot less demanding on the InfinityFrabric, and therefore its performance scales much better than the 2990WX.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    It seems in most cases, the 2970WX performs closer to the 2990WX than it does to the 2950X, despite having the same difference in core count.
                    Also don't forget that 2990WX/2970WX have twice the amount of L3 cache compared to 2950X/2920X.

Comment

Working...
                    X