No announcement yet.

Six Years After Launch, AMD Piledriver CPU Tuning Gets Reworked In LLVM Clang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Years After Launch, AMD Piledriver CPU Tuning Gets Reworked In LLVM Clang

Phoronix: Six Years After Launch, AMD Piledriver CPU Tuning Gets Reworked In LLVM Clang

Six years after AMD introduced "Piledriver" as the successor to the original Bulldozer CPUs, the LLVM Clang compiler is seeing a revised scheduling model for these processors that can yield faster performance of generated code targeting this older class of AMD CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should just discontinue support altogether to get people to switch to Ryzen.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      No comment..................

Comment

How about to discontinue Ryzen, but to use vulnerabilities free 128-bit CPUs from future on an ultra rolling stable trunkeze distros

debianxfce will recommend that as most stable on every thread, 128-bit rolling trunkeze off-road
        Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2018, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Wait... are you that guy from Osram who invented planned obsolescence?

Comment

And they just launched a new APU on that architecture: https://www.techpowerup.com/248944/a...for-socket-fm2

On the article itself: AMD will always suffer from the chicken/egg problem. Developers focus on Intel/Nvidia because is the hardware they generally have at hand. That makes software perform better on those, that in turn makes sales grow. Now that Ryzen is a very attractive platform, things tend to get better, but it will take years to most developers target it as a priority, if ever.

Comment

That might help people who own Trinity/Richland APUs too. The GPU part has even hardware fp64, and thus support to OpenGL 4.4 with the mesa r600g driver (since 18.1).
              Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              And they just launched a new APU on that architecture: https://www.techpowerup.com/248944/a...for-socket-fm2
              No, Carrizo is Excavator based, not Piledriver.

Comment

Hmmm ... interesting. I'm running the git llvm 8.0 on Manjaro (so I can use mesa git and OpenGL 4.5) and have to say things already seem significantly faster. But hey, I'll take any speed increase I can get on my aging FX-6300 until PC component prices come back down to Earth. One percent or seven, I don't care and welcome it all!

Comment

I'm running a 9590 on my main server. In it's day it offered pretty much fastest x264 encoding for the buck (after the price went down). It still does what I need (x264 encoding and file server ops) and has been rock solid reliable. At some point I'll replace it with whatever the latest Ryzen is. For now I'm just milking the 9590 for all it's worth.

It's always nice to see people making improvements although it really is not going to make or break my decision to upgrade when the time comes. The other part of the equation is that I compile using gcc for simplicity, I really haven't had any need to build anything with LLVM other than using it to support AMD graphics.

Comment

Finally get some love on one of my machines.

Comment

Working...
                    X