Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POWER9 On Linux Will See Faster Context Switching, Other Optimizations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • POWER9 On Linux Will See Faster Context Switching, Other Optimizations

    Phoronix: POWER9 On Linux Will See Faster Context Switching, Other Optimizations

    The POWER architecture changes have been submitted for the in-development Linux 4.20~5.0 kernel cycle, including more optimizations on the POWER9 front for these latest-generation IBM CPUs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...For-Linux-4.20

  • #2
    Nice! I am looking forward for all of your testing that will follow (especially cross-ISA).

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm looking forward to your benchmarks too. I'm also curious if it runs Firefox or Chromium adequately, and how much power it uses.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice! Always interested in seeing some server Iron get its workout.

        I wonder, for a potential benchmark Michael could you get a couple of days worth of phoronix traffic (news and forums) and throw it at something like siege? see how long it takes to get through serving the phoronix site (or openbenchmarking) that'd be a rather nice cross platform real world stress of the hardware

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
          I'm looking forward to your benchmarks too. I'm also curious if it runs Firefox or Chromium adequately, and how much power it uses.
          I'm really interested on the current status of firefox esr 60 on debian should be welcome a video if is it possible running different sites, like youtube and others, there is literally no video of these machines

          I'll be interested too to see how virt-manager work with a couple of virtual machines and how do firefox running inside there

          I'll also whould like to see VLC playing a fullhd video

          all of this without a dedicated video card but with the integrated one

          i hope Michael could help

          Comment


          • #6
            This is fantastic news. Hopefully you can keep this system for continued testing into the future.

            Back in the PowerPC days when the hardware was running strong in a Apples systems I had high hopes for Power in general but we never say wider industry adoption. Power and frankly ARM, are clean easy to understand architectures compared to what Intel offers. That has big appeal but we can’t forget the vector processor that was a huge advantage for years on PowerPC. So even though this may be complicated to do fairly I’d love to see how the modern day vector hardware compares acroos ARM, Intel and Power.

            Hopefully the community will be more open to Power based systems instead of relying upon Intel. It would be good for everybody to see these alternative architectures get some traction.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              I'm looking forward to your benchmarks too. I'm also curious if it runs Firefox or Chromium adequately, and how much power it uses.
              Would the majority of the people buying these systems even care? Maybe if they had a more desktop oriented machine but the way I understand Micheals post this is more of a server.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                This is fantastic news. Hopefully you can keep this system for continued testing into the future.

                Back in the PowerPC days when the hardware was running strong in a Apples systems I had high hopes for Power in general but we never say wider industry adoption. Power and frankly ARM, are clean easy to understand architectures compared to what Intel offers. That has big appeal but we can’t forget the vector processor that was a huge advantage for years on PowerPC. So even though this may be complicated to do fairly I’d love to see how the modern day vector hardware compares acroos ARM, Intel and Power.

                Hopefully the community will be more open to Power based systems instead of relying upon Intel. It would be good for everybody to see these alternative architectures get some traction.
                Yep will have it for a long period of time at least, they were able to supply the server if I supplied the RAM. So yes will be having a lot of POWER9 tests coming....

                IBM ended up offering to loan me a server through end of 2019, but haven't decided on taking them up on that offer yet since Talos is more in aim than the extremely expensive IBM server that is also likely quite a bit more power hungry, etc.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Yep will have it for a long period of time at least, they were able to supply the server if I supplied the RAM. So yes will be having a lot of POWER9 tests coming....
                  Yessss!

                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  IBM ended up offering to loan me a server through end of 2019, but haven't decided on taking them up on that offer yet since Talos is more in aim than the extremely expensive IBM server that is also likely quite a bit more power hungry, etc.
                  Benchmark IBM server all winter to heat your home, then return it in Spring time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

                    Would the majority of the people buying these systems even care? Maybe if they had a more desktop oriented machine but the way I understand Micheals post this is more of a server.
                    The hardware Michael is getting is oriented towards server computing, but the same company offers the Talos 2 Lite and the upcoming Raptor Blackbird. Those are expensive for desktops relative to the performance you get, but I might be able to justify that to myself for the freedom I'm getting and the ethical company I would be supporting.

                    But I can only make effective use of the machine if the browser experience is adequate. I don't need cutting edge speed. But I do need a stable and moderately fast browser experience.

                    (Edit: To be clear, the lower end machines will have 4 and 8 core Power9 processors instead of the 22 core processors Michael is getting. But my understanding is that single-threaded performance between the lower core count processors and the higher core count processors will be similar. So the benchmarks for browsers should be comparable.)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X