Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-Way Linux Distribution Benchmarks On The Intel Core i9 9900K - One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Templar82
    replied
    Originally posted by Kraust View Post
    Where would a minimal Arch install Perform in a benchmark like this? I'd assume it would perform closer to Clear Linux as it doesn't have the degrees of bloat that the larget distributions have.
    Assuming that you aren't trolling...

Arch packages tend to be compiled with every option enabled and they bring in a ton of dependencies they don't "need" = bloat

Performance would be about the same as Manjaro.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Clear Linux has too much churn in their releases. In the corporate space, it is seen as a great atomic OS for container images where CD processes are prevalent, but nothing that would used on bare metal let alone VM's in the company network.

Leave a comment:

• Kraust
    replied
    Where would a minimal Arch install Perform in a benchmark like this? I'd assume it would perform closer to Clear Linux as it doesn't have the degrees of bloat that the larget distributions have.

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Interesting to see that Ubuntu 18.10 did very badly in this test, which is unusual. I wonder what caused it, maybe there are some specific compiler optimisations for the i9 that it doesn't use?
    Well it lost to 18.04 a lot of the time, I doubt that 18.04 was compiled with more i9 optimisations

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Interesting to see that Ubuntu 18.10 did very badly in this test, which is unusual. I wonder what caused it, maybe there are some specific compiler optimisations for the i9 that it doesn't use?

Leave a comment:

• zamadatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Clickbait would be something like "And you wont believe who wins"

The heading is clear and accurate as one Distro did win 67% of the time.
    clickbait doesn't have to be false, just has to bait you into going to the article because the wording made it sound interesting. It's just as easy for the headline to say "Clear Linux wins 67%" of the time but that doesn't attract as many clicks because everyone expects Clear Linux to come ahead as it has in every other benchmark article.

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    Originally posted by etam View Post
    "One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time"

Clickbait is Literally Hitler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tuDZ4m0lc
    Clickbait would be something like "And you wont believe who wins"

The heading is clear and accurate as one Distro did win 67% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Lizintacer View Post
    Is ClearLinux actually used for anything in production or just written to win benchmarks (the trick reminds me of MetaGolfScript)?
    From their site it looks like it's designed to be small (like Rancher OS or Alpine)?
    It is used by at least a number of some data centers / cloud, IoT, and other environments but exactly where it's used doesn't seem to be widely published.

Leave a comment:

• Lizintacer
    replied
    Is ClearLinux actually used for anything in production or just written to win benchmarks (the trick reminds me of MetaGolfScript)?
    From their site it looks like it's designed to be small (like Rancher OS or Alpine)?

Leave a comment:

• etam
    replied
    "One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time"

Clickbait is Literally Hitler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tuDZ4m0lc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X