Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-Way Linux Distribution Benchmarks On The Intel Core i9 9900K - One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear Linux has too much churn in their releases. In the corporate space, it is seen as a great atomic OS for container images where CD processes are prevalent, but nothing that would used on bare metal let alone VM's in the company network.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraust View Post
      Where would a minimal Arch install Perform in a benchmark like this? I'd assume it would perform closer to Clear Linux as it doesn't have the degrees of bloat that the larget distributions have.
      Assuming that you aren't trolling...

Arch packages tend to be compiled with every option enabled and they bring in a ton of dependencies they don't "need" = bloat

Performance would be about the same as Manjaro.

Comment

<i>Processor Details</i>
        <i>Clear Linux 25720: Scaling Governor: intel_pstate performance</i>

All other distributions: <i>Scaling Governor: intel_pstate powersave</i>

Comment

I'd be interested to know why the boot times of Fedora 29 and Ubuntu 18.10 are so high out of the box? We're talking 25 seconds vs. half that for the Ubuntu LTS and a tenth of that for e.g. Clear Linux? What gives?

Comment

Great Buster perf, only that it must Freeze during next winter/spring season, but at least summer will be harassment free for everybody again
            Last edited by dungeon; 26 October 2018, 02:34 AM.

Comment

2 things:
              1. Vray on linux? - how?
              2. so now Clear dominates also the game segment in linux? Its time for debian and the others to pick this intel optimisation, because they fall behind badly.

debian fan+user here.

Comment

Debian kernels are optimized more for servers, so i am surprised that beats anything on the Desktop... so that is why i said Buster The Great, i expecting Debian to be optimal, so always somewhere in the middle, but instead it won silver medal here

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Debian kernels are optimized more for servers, so i am surprised that beats anything on the Desktop... so that is why i said Buster The Great, i expecting Debian to be optimal, so always somewhere in the middle, but instead it won silver medal here
                  true that but Clear beats on all fronts ... they must be doing something better than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                    true that but Clear beats on all fronts...
                    Not on all, but on majority of benchmarks here.

Well, Debian supports 10 official and 10 unofficial architectures, obviosly that does not aim to be just next ultimate Playstation So, if Buster currently rolls like this on average it is great for what it is. Even this is greater than expected to me

Originally posted by deant View Post
                    they must be doing something better than everyone else.
                    What? You asked for games and here in 3 games tested it is better about 5% more fps on average, is that difference you care much about?

You can optimize kernel build for Desktop and to gain these 5% but also to lose 5% somewhere else - so that is nothing
                    Last edited by dungeon; 26 October 2018, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
                      "One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time"

Clickbait is Literally Hitler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tuDZ4m0lc
                      I agree, and that was the reason I didn't read the article. It was clear to me that Clear Linux would be the title, the title would have been waay better making this explicit.

Comment

Working...
                      X