Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-Way Linux Distribution Benchmarks On The Intel Core i9 9900K - One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-Way Linux Distribution Benchmarks On The Intel Core i9 9900K - One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time

Phoronix: 8-Way Linux Distribution Benchmarks On The Intel Core i9 9900K - One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time

Following last week's release of the Intel Core i9 9900K, I spent several days testing various Linux distributions on this latest Core i9 CPU paired with the new ASUS Z390-A PRIME motherboard. I was testing not only to see that all of the Linux distributions were playing fine with this latest and greatest desktop hardware but also how the performance was looking. Benchmarked this round on the i9-9900K was Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu 18.10, Clear Linux 25720, Debian Buster Testing, Manjaro 18.0-RC3, Fedora Workstation 29, openSUSE Tumbleweed, and CentOS 7.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it was obvious that clear linux would win most of the tests, in fact im surprised that the percentage wasnt higher due to the optimizations and previous results

Comment

"One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time"

Clickbait is Literally Hitler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tuDZ4m0lc

Comment

Is ClearLinux actually used for anything in production or just written to win benchmarks (the trick reminds me of MetaGolfScript)?
        From their site it looks like it's designed to be small (like Rancher OS or Alpine)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lizintacer View Post
          Is ClearLinux actually used for anything in production or just written to win benchmarks (the trick reminds me of MetaGolfScript)?
          From their site it looks like it's designed to be small (like Rancher OS or Alpine)?
          It is used by at least a number of some data centers / cloud, IoT, and other environments but exactly where it's used doesn't seem to be widely published.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
            "One Distro Wins 67% Of The Time"

Clickbait is Literally Hitler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tuDZ4m0lc
            Clickbait would be something like "And you wont believe who wins"

The heading is clear and accurate as one Distro did win 67% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Clickbait would be something like "And you wont believe who wins"

The heading is clear and accurate as one Distro did win 67% of the time.
              clickbait doesn't have to be false, just has to bait you into going to the article because the wording made it sound interesting. It's just as easy for the headline to say "Clear Linux wins 67%" of the time but that doesn't attract as many clicks because everyone expects Clear Linux to come ahead as it has in every other benchmark article.

Comment

Interesting to see that Ubuntu 18.10 did very badly in this test, which is unusual. I wonder what caused it, maybe there are some specific compiler optimisations for the i9 that it doesn't use?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Interesting to see that Ubuntu 18.10 did very badly in this test, which is unusual. I wonder what caused it, maybe there are some specific compiler optimisations for the i9 that it doesn't use?
                  Well it lost to 18.04 a lot of the time, I doubt that 18.04 was compiled with more i9 optimisations

Comment

Where would a minimal Arch install Perform in a benchmark like this? I'd assume it would perform closer to Clear Linux as it doesn't have the degrees of bloat that the larget distributions have.

Comment

Working...
                    X