Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Dual EPYC 7601 Benchmarks - 9-Way AMD EPYC / Intel Xeon Tests On Ubuntu 18.10 Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Wow, AMD EPYC mopped the floor with Xeon, really impressive. Anyone shopping for new servers would be a fool to not pick EPYC.
    Everyone says this and I took it at face value as true but can you explain this?

the xeon gold is like 2K but the 7601 is like 4k.

Buy AMD EPYC 7551 32-Core 2.0 GHz (3.0 GHz Max Boost) Socket SP3 PS7551BDAFWOF Server Processor with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Michael, it would be nice to do a little soft OpenGL on this thing before you have to return it, just for kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post

Everyone says this and I took it at face value as true but can you explain this?

https://ark.intel.com/products/12047...ache-2-00-GHz-

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113471
        You're right. A better candidate would be the Gold 6150 or 6152.
        Maybe the Platinum 8160 instead. More expensive though.

Either way. That's some serious performance with the dual EPYC 7601.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113471
          The Flagship is always the most expensive product. Be it Intel or AMD. And you also have to compare the total system price of the server.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Because nobody buys a 128-thread server with the intent of only using 1 thread.
            Oh, I do. Don't ask. But imagine ensemble of 100k of single threaded processes ...

Comment

Would be nice to throw 2990WX in there, too, to see the effect of memory bandwidth.

Comment

Very nice review, thanks!
                Although this time the review is a bit unfair to Intel, benchmarking $8000 worth of Epyc vs. $5000 worth of Xeon CPUs... (list price anyway)

I find it strange that AMD chose to equip the Dell server (and also review units sent elsewhere) with Samsung 860 SSDs. NVMe storage is the real deal with Epyc. Maybe someone at AMD has a weird fetish for those, or AMD is sitting on a pile of them...

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
                Would be nice to throw 2990WX in there, too, to see the effect of memory bandwidth.
                Last I read, Phoronix was told by AMD to not benchmark Epyc against Threadripper. But it would have been very interesting so see indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Very nice review, thanks!
                  Although this time the review is a bit unfair to Intel, benchmarking $8000 worth of Epyc vs. $5000 worth of Xeon CPUs... (list price anyway)
                  Just a matter of what I have available... I don't believe Intel has ever sent me out a Xeon CPU but always rely upon their partners to send me out Xeon CPUs occasionally or like the case with the Xeon Silver had purchased it.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Would it be possible to add pgBench results here?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
                      I agree, or at least it'd be interesting to see that compared to a single 7601. I don't recall anybody else comparing these 2 CPUs against each other, so it'd make for a great comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X