Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Dual EPYC 7601 Benchmarks - 9-Way AMD EPYC / Intel Xeon Tests On Ubuntu 18.10 Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Dual EPYC 7601 Benchmarks - 9-Way AMD EPYC / Intel Xeon Tests On Ubuntu 18.10 Server

Phoronix: AMD Dual EPYC 7601 Benchmarks - 9-Way AMD EPYC / Intel Xeon Tests On Ubuntu 18.10 Server

Arriving earlier this month was a Dell PowerEdge R7425 server at Phoronix that was equipped with two AMD EPYC 7601 processors, 512GB of RAM, and 20 Samsung 860 EVO SSDs to make for a very interesting test platform and our first that is based on a dual EPYC design with our many other EPYC Linux benchmarks to date being 1P. Here is a look at the full performance capabilities of this 64-core / 128-thread server compared to a variety of other AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon processors while also doubling as an initial look at the performance of these server CPUs on Ubuntu 18.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, AMD EPYC mopped the floor with Xeon, really impressive. Anyone shopping for new servers would be a fool to not pick EPYC.

Comment

And even with all Intel's academic and anti-amd discounts, amd is still massively cheaper for the same amount of compute. Looks like Intel is really going to have some difficult years ahead ...

Comment

INTEL IS KILL!!1!

Good, now if AMD could deliver with GPU as well pls

Comment

It would be interesting if a single core benchmark (like PassMark) could be added to the Phoronix Benchmarks since single core performance can be vital for some of us while also being interested in the scalability of multiple cores.

Comment

Great test!

F.Ultra, why would you buy any of these CPUs if you would care about single core performance? A Ryzen 2700X will be faster than an Epyc on single core.

Comment

I think it's important to emphasize that the worst CPUs in these benchmarks have 8c/16t. That's no slouch, and yet it is completely dwarfed by this thing.

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
              It would be interesting if a single core benchmark (like PassMark) could be added to the Phoronix Benchmarks since single core performance can be vital for some of us while also being interested in the scalability of multiple cores.
              I assume what you meant is running a collection of independent single-threaded tasks? Because nobody buys a 128-thread server with the intent of only using 1 thread.

Comment

Epyc domination... That thing should be illegal. Nobody should have that power.
                Last edited by valici; 16 October 2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I think it's important to emphasize that the worst CPUs in these benchmarks have 8c/16t. That's no slouch, and yet it is completely dwarfed by this thing.

I assume what you meant is running a collection of independent single-threaded tasks? Because nobody buys a 128-thread server with the intent of only using 1 thread.
                  I'm interested in both the latency of each operation as well as the scalability of performing many operations at the same time. The current benchmarks only show the total throughput of the system and not the latency. In my industry we need to both minimize the latency (single core performance) as well as being able to scale to many connections (say running 128 threads simultaneously).

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
                    Great test!

F.Ultra, why would you buy any of these CPUs if you would care about single core performance? A Ryzen 2700X will be faster than an Epyc on single core.
                    Because I care not only about the single core performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X