No announcement yet.

A Look At Linux Application Scaling Up To 128 Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GraphicsMagick seems to scale with log(threads) instead of number of threads, until I miss something.
    I was also wondering about that, the text does not seem to match what the figure says at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
      The specification table shows that each configuration up to 32 threads works at ~2.7GHz frequency, but 64 and 128 thread configurations work at 3.1GHz.
      LOL - I know this isn't exactly what you mean but the idea of the system not thinking it had enough load to bother clocking up until it saw more than 32 threads was amusing...
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

LOL - I know this isn't exactly what you mean but the idea of the system not thinking it had enough load to bother clocking up until it saw more than 32 threads was amusing...
        Only 31 active threads? So bored! Better downclock to save some power!

Comment

It would be very interesting to see a benchmark of this baby against a Talos II with 48 cores, is there any chance you could do that, Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            It would be very interesting to see a benchmark of this baby against a Talos II with 48 cores, is there any chance you could do that, Michael?
            Unfortunately I have no physical access to any POWER9 hardware yet nor any persistent POWER9 remote systems, so would need to request/wait until having any access again...
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wish there was some screenshot of the boot process, when the KMS kicks in and you can see all the 128 penguins... I wonder if the all fit on a normal screen.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                I wish there was some screenshot of the boot process, when the KMS kicks in and you can see all the 128 penguins... I wonder if the all fit on a normal screen.
                "Beast Mode Enabled"

Comment

That kernel compile in 25 seconds is seriously amazing. How many kernel dev's could benefit from a machine like that... how many years of their life would be saved. That is fricking impressive.

Comment

Michael when you are done with the more serious tests, can you do a test with software OpenGL (softpipe)? Just for kicks, to see what this kind of CPU power can do on 3d graphics.

Comment

What I find most interesting about this, and all such hardware test done using Linux is that invariably the distro used is Ubuntu. Michael claims that Fedora is his main workstation OS yet in every single hardware review the installed distro is Ubuntu. this holds true for other sites that do Linux hardware reviews, I can't remember the last time I saw one done that didn't use Ubuntu.

The reality is that Ubuntu has the best hardware support out of all distros, Fedora causes audio issues, such as popping, crackling, audio distortion, I have seen the same thing with Suse, RedHat respins, Manjaro, but Ubuntu just works.

I just think it's funny.,

Comment

Working...
                      X