Clear All

• pmorph
    replied
    This was one fun benchmark, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Adul View Post
    It clearly seems, that running just one program, no matter how well it attempts to scale, is not the purpose of such beast, and doesn't do that machine justice.
    Amdahl's law is inevitable. Inter-core communication bottlenecks are inevitable.
    Entirely correct. Servers like this are really meant for multitasking, not highly parallel workloads. It is because of this why I don't see myself buying myself a CPU beyond 16 threads for a very long time. I don't have any workloads that are especially demanding of an entire CPU and if I feel the need to multitask, I'll just use more than 1 computer at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Michael, thanks for bringing such a beast of a machine into the benchmarking world. I guess that means thanking Dell also.

What I would love to see is how the HT regressions compare to Intel hardware. This assumes that the Intel hardware and AMD hardware show issues on the same tests. Right now the few HT related performance regressions really don't look that bad. Oh an power, how badly is this machine killing your electrical budget?
    AMD sent it out, not Dell.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Michael, thanks for bringing such a beast of a machine into the benchmarking world. I guess that means thanking Dell also.

What I would love to see is how the HT regressions compare to Intel hardware. This assumes that the Intel hardware and AMD hardware show issues on the same tests. Right now the few HT related performance regressions really don't look that bad. Oh an power, how badly is this machine killing your electrical budget?

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    The reality is that Ubuntu has the best hardware support out of all distros, Fedora causes audio issues, such as popping, crackling, audio distortion, I have seen the same thing with Suse, RedHat respins, Manjaro, but Ubuntu just works.
    Never have experienced any audio issues on Fedora. And I've been using it since before it was called Fedora. Either way, what does audio have to do with benchmarks?

Leave a comment:

• Adul
    replied
    It clearly seems, that running just one program, no matter how well it attempts to scale, is not the purpose of such beast, and doesn't do that machine justice.
    Amdahl's law is inevitable. Inter-core communication bottlenecks are inevitable.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    What I find most interesting about this, and all such hardware test done using Linux is that invariably the distro used is Ubuntu. Michael claims that Fedora is his main workstation OS yet in every single hardware review the installed distro is Ubuntu. this holds true for other sites that do Linux hardware reviews, I can't remember the last time I saw one done that didn't use Ubuntu.

The reality is that Ubuntu has the best hardware support out of all distros, Fedora causes audio issues, such as popping, crackling, audio distortion, I have seen the same thing with Suse, RedHat respins, Manjaro, but Ubuntu just works.

I just think it's funny.,

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Michael when you are done with the more serious tests, can you do a test with software OpenGL (softpipe)? Just for kicks, to see what this kind of CPU power can do on 3d graphics.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    That kernel compile in 25 seconds is seriously amazing. How many kernel dev's could benefit from a machine like that... how many years of their life would be saved. That is fricking impressive.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    I wish there was some screenshot of the boot process, when the KMS kicks in and you can see all the 128 penguins... I wonder if the all fit on a normal screen.
    "Beast Mode Enabled"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X