No announcement yet.

"Thermal Pressure" Kernel Feature Would Help Linux Performance When Running Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Thermal Pressure" Kernel Feature Would Help Linux Performance When Running Hot

Phoronix: "Thermal Pressure" Kernel Feature Would Help Linux Performance When Running Hot

Linaro engineer Thara Gopinath sent out an experimental set of kernel patches today that introduces the concept of "thermal pressure" to the Linux kernel for helping assist Linux performance when the processor cores are running hot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't that pretty much the reason why the Windows scheduler switches tasks between cores? That being said, isn't that why the Windows scheduler performs so much worse with Ryzen? Unless this basically forces a task to switch to another core after exceeding a high temperature (such as 80C), I question if this is actually a good idea.
    That being said, I do think it's a great idea, if cores are switched based on a certain temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      That being said, I do think it's a great idea, if cores are switched based on a certain temperature.
      Or if the feature can be disabled at will.

Comment

Isn't that pretty much the reason why the Windows scheduler switches tasks between cores? That being said, isn't that why the Windows scheduler performs so much worse with Ryzen?
        One would hope that the Windows NT Kernel team would know about the Zen CCX layout and schedule accordingly.

Comment

Isn't that pretty much the reason why the Windows scheduler switches tasks between cores? That being said, isn't that why the Windows scheduler performs so much worse with Ryzen? Unless this basically forces a task to switch to another core after exceeding a high temperature (such as 80C), I question if this is actually a good idea.
          Surely the implementation would need to be NUMA aware? That should help Ryzen.

Comment

Maybe they will only switch between most closest cores..or cores of same CCX..

Comment

Afaik the reason WIndows sucks on Ryzen is that it always was very meh on NUMA.

Comment

Working...
              X