No announcement yet.

AMD Athlon 200GE: Benchmarking The $60 Zen+Vega Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kernel compile time for the Ryzen 3's seems way off and sticks out compared to the other benchmarks. Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
      The kernel compile time for the Ryzen 3's seems way off and sticks out compared to the other benchmarks. Why is that?
      I think it's just that compiling depends more on core count than thread count, ie multiple threads per core doesn't help as much.
      Test signature

Comment

"I think it's just that compiling depends more on core count than thread count, ie multiple threads per core doesn't help as much."

Ryzen 3 has 4 cores but is way worse than the 200GE with only 2 cores.

In all other benchmarks, multithreaded or not, the Ryzen 3 is much faster. This is why I think something must be off with the benchmark.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Yes, you need to select the components carefully... But if you do, I'm not aware about any Ryzen chip that is near my 10W Intel system and this is a normal desktop setup with some selected components of cause, nothing special like a picu-PSU or laptop-bricks.
          Well, might be that you have there something special mobo and PSU combo really , here for example that i5-4570 shows not 10W but 42W at idle:

http://www.benchmarks-tests.com/cpu/...r-Consumption/

Or maybe you have S model there - i5-4570S ? Googling around for that, people talk about 36W idle there (might depend also what you have connected there):

https://willhaley.com/blog/power-con...a-kill-a-watt/

I really can't find anyone else to talk of these about 10W idle for that model So i would guess as If you achieved that, you indeed have something special there

Are you running server without X or something like that maybe?

At the end if nothing special you did there and is goes so low as 10W, might be that you even have a bug Are these 10W idle on both using Linux and Windows?

I as much as I prefer AMD, the idle power should be somewhere more reasonable, if it would be 20 Watt this could have been a different story, but 30 is quite high.
          But, who is in the range of 20W? It is more like about 25W. on average using Windows for AMD APUs and comparable Intel CPUs too, now if that same machines using average Linux do 30W idle there, that difference is nothing so much to be worried about
          Last edited by dungeon; 06 October 2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
            All I could think of looking at the graphs was holy shit, 2200g is GREAT. Ok, It's somewhat more expensive than 200GE, but significantly faster, and 3D chip is much better. I mean if you take CPU cost as % of entire system cost, 50 vs 100 GBP doesn't change it much.
            Of course it is. It's apples and oranges. 200GE is 35W while 2200g is 65W TDP.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It does not need to be high end at all , this 13 dollar alpine should be enough even for Ryzens in 45W mode, OK not really recommended for 45W but for 35W GE models is perfect:

https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/alpine-am4-passive.html
              Or maybe the stock cooler will do. Someone mentioned the Sempron LE-1100, this one was awesome! but I think the stock cooler was fairly overspecced i.e. they probably shipped the same as on Athlon 64 X2 rather than make a smaller one and save on metal. So end result the CPU ran very cool and the fan spun very slowly even overclocked and with no case fan.
              The equivalent would be to use a stock cooler for 65W Ryzen, whatever the least fancy cooler is.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                Or maybe the stock cooler will do.
                Yes, cooler is fine enough. But some people have idea to go all silent so passive, without any vents. And this heatsink is cheapest solution

There are more expensive ways to be passive, one could buy entire case to be passive... for example this $180 one:

https://www.quietpcusa.com/Streacom-...C-Chassis.aspx

That would do a job for all Ryzen APUs, but yeah that way is way more expensive than $13.

Well, these cases could have secondary function for winter season APU gaming, you can put a legs on it and it would keep you warm

Just to give you idea how that goes, here is reddit post of someone who did this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...x_2400g_build/
                Last edited by dungeon; 06 October 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                  All I could think of looking at the graphs was holy shit, 2200g is GREAT. Ok, It's somewhat more expensive than 200GE, but significantly faster, and 3D chip is much better. I mean if you take CPU cost as % of entire system cost, 50 vs 100 GBP doesn't change it much.

Michael, your 3D benchmarks for 2400g seem to be missing from the graphs? It would be interesting to see if integrated GPU makes much difference under Linux between 2200g and 2400g.
                  If RAM was cheap again that would be a bit better proposition. 200GE with 16G RAM for same price or lower than 2200G with 8G RAM?

-----

About small-form-factor, fanless or not, I have not yet seen what I'd want. I would be ready to go with low profile slots, which is a good fit with PCIe-only. But low profile cases are strictly as wide or narrow as needed for things to barely fit. I'd want low profile slots but with some headroom!, like is so common with gamer cases or even full profile micro ATX tower used for boring office purposes. So the thickness (if horizontal) or width (if vertical) would somwhere between high profile and low profile.

The case may even have five slots to install a dual slot card on the bottom, or for headers. Generous storage bays like four 3.5" and two 2.5" or two 3.5" and four 2.5". (ok, let's go with the latter...)
                  To top it off I want a somewhat low price, as with Corsair and Coolermaster cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Ryzen 3 has 4 cores but is way worse than the 200GE with only 2 cores.

In all other benchmarks, multithreaded or not, the Ryzen 3 is much faster. This is why I think something must be off with the benchmark.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...on-200ge&num=4
                    Yes, i spotted that too and is off. It can't be that Ryzen 1200/1300X are 3 times slower than Ryzen 2200G/2400G, these should be in similar range.

Even title is off as AMD lunched this as $55 APU, but Michael says $60... no idea why, might be because of tariffs
                    Last edited by dungeon; 06 October 2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Oh, I've seen it consistently beats A10-7870K in graphics performance.
                      I think that's more than I expected for the "crap grade" graphics.
                      No matter how diminutive, for some people upgrading to the 200GE would get them both their fastest CPU and fastest GPU ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X