Intel Interim CEO Comments On CPU Supply Challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I only said that I could not understand what you wrote... don't extrapolate things I didn't say.

Still extrapolating wildly? Let's look again at the sentences.

"Um... no, it isn't (or it shouldn't be, anyway). Their job is to make processors that people want to buy."

There is nothing in this statement that says this is his own wish about what Intel would do. No "afaik", no "imho" no, "I think", no "I would like to".

This is stating a fact.
    So you got the point but didn't understand, how does that work out?

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post

Last time that I checked marketshare and financial numbers, Ryzen impact was a round error.

And not all cores are the same, so number of cores performance mean very little.
      Number of cores does not matter, but bucks per thread figure like this does matter

And benchmarking a bit these with most threads $28 vs $156 (actually that is even Xeon 8180)

Last edited by dungeon; 29 September 2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Even Linus Torvalds said in august how he "seriously considering upgrading to AMD Threadripper", but he ended like Gaddafi very soon after

I mean really, once mafioso is always mafioso. These are not CoCs nor SJWs nor you have problem understanding emotions Linus, that is real mafia right there
        Last edited by dungeon; 29 September 2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Number of cores does not matter, but bucks per thread figure like this does matter

And benchmarking a bit these with most threads $28 vs $156 (actually that is even Xeon 8180)

"bucks per thread" is similarly useless.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah, I think I agree. I'm fairly sure it was Fred Weber that designed the front end for K7, and then from a higher position managed the entire design for K8. And yet I constantly hear references about Jim Keller designing K8.... I'm not sure what to make of it.

EDIT: I remember watching a interview with Fred Weber back when he was AMD CTO, it was Athlon X2 had launched, where he in layman terms described a theoretical 8-way x86 pipeline. And this was at a time when K8 cores were 3-way pipelines, this thing would have been super wide. My personal theory is that he actually tried making something like it and it wasn't realistic. And that's why it took so long for K10 to launch and why it was nothing more than a stopgap.
            Indeed, the K7 was made by a combined pair of teams leaded by Dirk Meyer and Fred Weber, with Meyer being the lead engineer of the K7. And the famous K8 was designed by a team leaded by Fred Weber. Jim Keller worked in an early K8 prototype as the lead engineer, but the prototype was cancelled, Keller left AMD, and the task of designing the K8 was given to Weber and his team, who took the K7 as base, improved it, and added the 64 bit extensions developed by Kevin McGrath and Dave Christie.

Zen was designed by the Zen team, leaded by Suzanne Plummer, with Mike Clark as lead engineer for Zen.

Comment

"bucks per thread" is similarly useless.
              He, he, Is this figure useless?

Also, we will see next year how it will go with all tariffs in place

Last edited by dungeon; 01 October 2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

He, he, Is this figure useless?

Those figures aren't about "bucks per thread".

Comment

Those figures aren't about "bucks per thread".
                  It isn't, previous one is. It also isn't bucks per CoC push, as mafia is mafia and these are currently not satisfied this shows value of AMD CPUs and how also potentional of meltdowned Intel to be pushed to do something illegal or to make something illegal considered as legal, etc... because they seems don't have other ideas

Even Linus is not stupidly one sided so he expressed how he "seriously considering upgrading to AMD Threadripper" in august and some people built Threadripper WX machine for him, nVidia F included

Last edited by dungeon; 02 October 2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I only said that I could not understand what you wrote... don't extrapolate things I didn't say.

Still extrapolating wildly? Let's look again at the sentences.

"Um... no, it isn't (or it shouldn't be, anyway). Their job is to make processors that people want to buy."

There is nothing in this statement that says this is his own wish about what Intel would do. No "afaik", no "imho" no, "I think", no "I would like to".

This is stating a fact.
                    I'm still wondering how you got the point while not understanding, can you please explain it to me?

Comment

Working...
                    X