Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightGear 2018.3 Flight Simulator Prepares For Landing

Phoronix: FlightGear 2018.3 Flight Simulator Prepares For Landing

Long-running open-source, cross-platform flight simulator FlightGear is preparing for its next feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wished they managed to create a more user friendly interface to FG. For years I try it up and after a couple minutes I uninstall it, because it is to much focused on the hardcore flight sim enthusiast.

Also, it would be nice if someone used it as basis for a more action paced opensource flight sim, even if it do not involve shot other aircraft down. A fork or mod for flight demonstration teams and airshow solo displays would be very nice, for example. Or a new entry on the Search & Rescue series.

Comment

Boring with civilian airplanes and old ancient airplanes.
      I would really like to see it come with modern, jet fighters. Such as the F-22 Raptor or F-35 Lightning II.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        I wished they managed to create a more user friendly interface to FG. For years I try it up and after a couple minutes I uninstall it, because it is to much focused on the hardcore flight sim enthusiast.

Also, it would be nice if someone used it as basis for a more action paced opensource flight sim, even if it do not involve shot other aircraft down. A fork or mod for flight demonstration teams and airshow solo displays would be very nice, for example. Or a new entry on the Search & Rescue series.
        Greetings. I'm afraid your are missing the point of FlightGear. It is an actual flight simulator. That takes physics into consideration. Its not an arcade or something like FSX Steam Edition.

Now, that said. We do have F-14, F-15, Mirage 2000, SaaB Viggen, F-16, latest and created 777, A320 and A330.

They all work great. And these fighters have working radars and guided weapons. Including a damage system.

Im myself am a fighter pilot for a Military group called operation red flag. This group is developing and improving those amazing fighters.

Comment

tried this, was a very cool game... but very slow

Comment

FG made huge steps forward in usability during the last two years: the new official QT launcher makes it very easy to start the game with the options you like, much easier than the older fgrun. As for the in-game UX, I like it very much as it is now. It makes me believe I could pilot a real plane, and I nearly feel like I'm really flying and risking my life. The landings are the best part. Taking off is a piece of cake, but landing is the real challenge. I only wish landing physics were more realistic, taking plane damages into account.

I'm afraid FG is not enough of a videogame for that kind of fork to happen. However there's Linux Air Combat (once gl117) that could improve in that direction.

As for FG, I'd like only one single feature to be added: option to show some geographical names over the terrain, matching the scenery, so that I don't need a flight plan to know where I am with my plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Megaf View Post

Greetings. I'm afraid your are missing the point of FlightGear.
              No I'm not :-). If you pay attention to my previous comment, I acknowledge that it is destined to the more serious side of flight simulation. But it does it in a way that leaves no room for action, hence my desire to someone take it as a basis for something different. And no, I do not want something so arcade that you cannot stall or crash your aircraft, although making no room for beginners and their joypads robs you the opportunity of being the door for people to get involved with flight simulators.

We do have the action orientated War Thunder, but that is not what I have in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                However there's Linux Air Combat (once gl117) that could improve in that direction.
                I was not aware of this one. Looks like it is going exactly where I hoped, something that you can play on modest laptops, since most realism oriented flight simulators target people with high end machines and accessories, a thing that in my decades of dedication to the genre, always found to be a fault and a block to make it more popular among players.

Comment

I just want to point out that I hit only a few buttons in order to get airborne in the F-15. So it is _not_ difficult to play Flightgear. Just hit "Quickstart" the engines, flaps down, release brakes and throttle up down the runway.

There is nowadays a codebase called "OPRF" that creates online air-to-air missiles, guns and basic damage models. Combine that with my above instructions and you have a easy, highly realistic flight simulation experience.
                  Last edited by AdamOne; 27 September 2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Boring with civilian airplanes and old ancient airplanes.
                    I would really like to see it come with modern, jet fighters. Such as the F-22 Raptor or F-35 Lightning II.
                    The flight dynamics for those airplanes are still, and probably will for a long time be heavily classified, however the flight dynamics of some of the aircraft-models come from actual, real-world data, see http://www.zaretto.com/f-15
                    Last edited by AdamOne; 27 September 2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X