No announcement yet.

The Current Linux Performance With 16 ARM Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of these boards, to a greater or lesser extent, suffer from cooling and power delivery challenges. For any serious attempt to benchmark them, the first step would be to control the cooling and power and to ensure that both are adequate.

I'm not sure what the point of discussing the GPU on these chips is. None of these benchmarks use the GPU. To further that point, I'm not sure what the point of discussing the video decoding hardware support is, either as none of these benchmarks rely on that, either.

Unlike PCs, GPUs on these ARM chips only handle 3D graphics. Video decode (encode) are done by a completely different part of the chip. Add to that the fact that the video encode benchmarks don't use the hardware encode unit--they're completely CPU tests--any discussion of GPU and video encode/decode units seems misplaced. Now, if you're concerned with them because you're interested in the usefullness of these chips *beyond* the scope of benchmarking, then that discussion makes sense. But as far as these benchmarks go, they are immaterial.

The Allwinner results look very strange. I would be curious to know what clock speed those chips are running at. The processor frequency can be set in the DTS and is often customized by the distro, so it's impossible to know this unless you instrument the boards during the benchmark run.

LoveRPi, what do you mean the C2 is 20% overclocked as compared to the Le Potato board? The stock clock speed for the HardKernel Ubuntu distro is 1.536GHz while the Le Potato claims 1.512GHz. That doesn't seem to be 20%.

Michael, could you correct the price on the C2 to $46? The C1+ should be $35 as well. The price list seems to be a mix of list prices and uncited retail prices. If you would like, I would be willing to track down the list prices for all of the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
      Michael didn't run an AES/Encryption benchmark. Le Potato wipes the floor on all of the 32-bit ARM boards like ASUS Tinker Board as well as ODROID-C2 and Raspberry Pi 3.
      I think encryption (NAS use) and video encoding speed (security cameras, DLNA servers etc.) are the most important differences between the boards, along with I/O capabilities. I kind of doubt anyone would use these for mining crypto coins or as a hardcore server. The CPU speed is pretty irrelevant unless there's some serious CPU hungry killer app.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
        I'm not sure what the point of discussing the GPU on these chips is. None of these benchmarks use the GPU.
        I can't wait for a Pi with Vidcore V to arrive, since it looks like it's going to support OpenCL. Hopefully, that'll light a fire under some of its competitors to get their OpenCL support into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I kind of doubt anyone would use these for mining crypto coins or as a hardcore server. The CPU speed is pretty irrelevant unless there's some serious CPU hungry killer app.
          So, you're basically saying that compute benchmarks are useless and we should just buy on the basis of features (and maybe I/O performance)?

That might work for some, but if you're actually using one of these as a desktop replacement (the Pi's original stated purpose), gaming, robotics, or probably dozens of other things, CPU performance does matter!

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            I can't wait for a Pi with Vidcore V to arrive, since it looks like it's going to support OpenCL. Hopefully, that'll light a fire under some of its competitors to get their OpenCL support into shape.
            The ODROID XU4 currently supports OpenCL on an SBC if you don't want to wait. I believe some of the rockchip boards do as well, but I have no experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
              The ODROID XU4 currently supports OpenCL on an SBC if you don't want to wait. I believe some of the rockchip boards do as well, but I have no experience with them.
              Thanks, but what I'm waiting for is the "arms race" to get moving.

I think OpenCV's OpenCL backend is a source of latent demand. I also think there are plenty of folks who would dabble with OpenCL, if it were right there in their Pi. It's probably the best thing that could happen for OpenCL.

Comment

It's disappointing that there's no affordable boards (sub 100 euros) with better than A72 cores (RockChip rk3399). You have to go for one of the latest Huawei 96boards designs, and by then you can buy an Intel NUC; yes, I know those aren't meant to be commodity consumer products, but if they want to get them in the hands of enthusiasts they need to be keener on pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                  It's disappointing that there's no affordable boards (sub 100 euros) with better than A72 cores (RockChip rk3399). You have to go for one of the latest Huawei 96boards designs, and by then you can buy an Intel NUC; yes, I know those aren't meant to be commodity consumer products, but if they want to get them in the hands of enthusiasts they need to be keener on pricing.
                  Yup, I'm also disappointed about the SBC's performance progress.
                  I ended up purchasing a Lattepanda Delta 432 instead of the RockPro64, cause the CPU performance is so bad. They're not really more energy efficient than Intel CPUs either, cause Intel CPUs are manufactured in 14nm, while those A53 chips all seem to be manufactured in 40nm.

Comment

The Huawei Kirin 970 board, Hikey 970, is $300
                    What is Hikey 970Hikey970 is Super Edge AI Computing Platform Powered by Kirin970 SOC with 4 x Cortex A73,4 x Cortex A53

that's got A73 cores.

The Kirin 980 is very new, I couldn't find any dev or engineering boards, but that CPU has A76 cores. I can imagine a dev board will also be $300++.

Comment

New amlogic s922x has four Arm Cortex A73 cores and two Cortex A53 cores, and a Mali-G52 MP4 GPU.
                      At the very beginning of this year, we published an Amlogic roadmap showing Amlogic S922 next gen CPU/GPU, and S905X2 quad core Cortex A53 processors, but

Comment

Working...
                      X