The Current Linux Performance On 22 Intel / AMD Desktop Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    It's truly amazing that the fastest consumer CPU's today can build the Linux kernel in around one minute. When I first started using Linux in the mid 1990's, compiling the kernel was an 8 hour job on my 486 DX 33. Eight hours. There was no point in running it during the day, so usually I'd kick it off late in the evening and it would be done by the following morning. Now we do the same thing in about a minute. Unreal!
    Eh? 1995 or so I was compiling the kernel in 45 minutes on a 386DX40 with only 4MB of RAM. The kernel was a hell of a lot smaller back then (I mean absolutely minuscule compared to current kernels). 8 hours?? No way unless you were swapping like crazy or something.

Comment

I which this test would throw in some of the common older CPU's. For example I bet the E5-2680 would be in the top-5 of the list and those processors cost practically nothing nowadays. Processors just don't advance that much any more.

Comment

I was unhappy with Piledriver being always at the end of the queue, so I ran the benchmarks on my overclocked [email protected], on an up to date Gentoo ~amd64, with "-march=native -O3" in CFLAGS: https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...8320E%404.3GHz

It usually does a decent job keeping up with other cheap CPUs (it cost me 140€, 4 years ago), except in those benchmarks using algebra libraries highly optimised by Clear Linux.
        Last edited by stefantalpalaru; 13 September 2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

So at this moment microcenter will sell you a ryzen 1800x with nvme mobo and 4 dimm slots for ~235usd (pre tax). Likely the best bang for the buck. a 2700x is 100usd more and is marginally faster than the 1800x.

AMD's ryzen has absolutely caused a recent jump in processor performance. Sandy through skylake were the pathetic updates.

Comment

Working...
          X