Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Officially Announces The Ryzen 3 2300X & Ryzen 5 2500X

Phoronix: AMD Officially Announces The Ryzen 3 2300X & Ryzen 5 2500X

Following weeks of leaks about these new processors targeting OEMs and system integrators, AMD today officially announced the Ryzen 3 2300X and Ryzen 5 2500X processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    will be marketed to OEMs and system builders
    As opposed to all those CPUs that are marketed at people who don't plan on using them?

Comment

Weird, the 2500X is an overall downgrade from the 1500X (slightly higher boost clocks but lower cache) while the 2300X is a decent upgrade.

Comment

I'm more impressed for the Ryzen 7 2700E. 8C16T on 45W is impressive. The new candidate for my machine when memory makers stop robbing us at gunpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Weird, the 2500X is an overall downgrade from the 1500X (slightly higher boost clocks but lower cache) while the 2300X is a decent upgrade.
          That depends on what you run. I don't think that many programs benefit from 16 MB of L3 over 8 MB of L3 but they could benefit from less latency between cores. According to Anandtech these X parts have all four cores on single CCX. Benchmarks will probably tell which is better overall.

Both the 2500X and 2300X, at quad core/eight threads and quad core/four threads will feature a single enabled CCX, rather than a 2+2 configuration.
          2700E seems like an interesting processor for heavily multithreaded use cases where single threaded performance is not that important. It's interesting that these E parts have higher turbo frequency than similar parts without E. I wonder if they can actually utilize that turbo frequency or if TDP limits it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            It's interesting that these E parts have higher turbo frequency than similar parts without E. I wonder if they can actually utilize that turbo frequency or if TDP limits it.
            IIRC the TDP rating is not a hard limit, but an average. I would think that it has a great potential in these new configurations when turbo is used for short bursts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post
              As opposed to all those CPUs that are marketed at people who don't plan on using them?
              Or those CPUs that are marketed to OEMs only, like the PRO APUs. God-fucking-damn-it, why they have to keep ECC only for PRO APUs. What OEM will ever care about that for what is a midrange CPU?

Comment

Market date?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  God-fucking-damn-it, why they have to keep ECC only for PRO APUs.
                  Because otherwise business, professionals, enterprise, etc... will use consumer APUs also ECC support would add to the price for everbody, even for these who don't need nor use that

Why do you asking that? For home computing use prices of hardware are usually maded to be as much as low as possible. Home or industry requirements are not the same, pricing of whatever for these two was never the same... even simple electricity costs differently for homes and for industries, blah, blah
                  Last edited by dungeon; 10 September 2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I think he would not mind if consumers could just buy those Ryzen PROs.

Comment

Working...
                    X