Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Athlon 200GE With Vega 3 Graphics, 2nd Gen Ryzen/Athlon PRO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Sorry I should have emphasized that I needed a product I could buy and not a wet dream.

    The Bolt V8 could have been a contender if it were a real thing, and if I had four legs I'd be a horse.

    Maybe the choices will be better next year. As it stands my computing is a combination of Intel and various ARM devices.



    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Did it? Because apart from some vocal minority none gives a shit.
      1) Do you have any evidence for this being a minority concern, or merely speculation? What kind of minority are we talking about, too? Everyone posting here is part of a minority — people who care enough about Linux to even visit a Linux-related site, let alone register and post.

      2) Do you have evidence to support the opinion that this minority's grievances don't matter, merely because they're not shared by the majority? Otherwise, it seems like a case of the argumentum ad populum fallacy.

      There are many examples of a minority of people caring more about doing what's right vs. larger groups being content with a corrupt status quo.

      "No one cares about X" is the same argument Sony made in court to try to defend its bait and switch about Linux on PS3. Unsurprisingly, this was paired with the branding of the vocal minority of people who brought the case as bad apples. The two go hand-in-hand.

      What matters, objectively, is the facts — not how many people are interested in them. Otherwise, we wouldn't place any importance in specialization nor above-average IQ. All things would be determined by Joe Average. That's not how the real world works, though. Minorities determine most things because they have the knowledge required to care about the issue in the first place.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Of course it is "better", but this Ibase Mini-ITX recommends 150W power adaptor
        That's a check I can make after the first requirement is met. If it does not have the connectivity I need it's of no use to me regardless of TDP.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by DavidKL View Post
          1) Do you have any evidence for this being a minority concern, or merely speculation?
          I work in IT, I have first-hand experience. Decades of first-hand experience.

          What kind of minority are we talking about, too?
          People that have a general understanding of technology AND actually care.

          2) Do you have evidence to support the opinion that this minority's grievances don't matter, merely because they're not shared by the majority?
          Do I need evidence to back up the claim that a minority of the consumer base has no relevance in a capitalist market that is much much larger?

          There are many examples of a minority of people caring more about doing what's right vs. larger groups being content with a corrupt status quo.
          Yeah, and they also usually can't do shit about it because they are a minority. Thoughts and prayers man.

          "No one cares about X" is the same argument Sony made in court to try to defend its bait and switch about Linux on PS3. Unsurprisingly, this was paired with the branding of the vocal minority of people who brought the case as bad apples. The two go hand-in-hand.
          Sony basically won, btw, so I wouldn't use this as an example if I were you. https://www.polygon.com/linux/2018/3...-lawsuit-linux

          less than 4 millions paid, it's a slap in the wrist. Ah, it's also very funny how they are increasing the sum of money they will give back to people "harmed" by this stuff since far less than 30k people (the numbers they planned for) actually sent a letter to claim it.

          What matters, objectively, is the facts — not how many people are interested in them.
          You must live in a very nice bubble, in actual reality unless you have a critical mass you can't do shit even if facts are on your side.

          Otherwise, we wouldn't place any importance in specialization nor above-average IQ.
          This is completely unrelated, wtf?

          All things would be determined by Joe Average.
          Welcome to mass-market dynamics, citizen.

          Comment


          • #25
            Hmm... the long ago announced Ryzen 5 2400GE has not materialized on any shelf, and they are already announcing more "GE" models. Maybe sell some 2400GEs, first?

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by dwagner View Post
              Hmm... the long ago announced Ryzen 5 2400GE has not materialized on any shelf, and they are already announcing more "GE" models. Maybe sell some 2400GEs, first?
              It went the same road of the Ryzen 2400g PRO, you need to buy a OEM PC if you want it (in this case the slim version of the PCs that also mount the PRO APUs) https://www.thenerdmag.com/elitedesk...based-mini-pc/

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                It went the same road of the Ryzen 2400g PRO, you need to buy a OEM PC if you want it
                I have no use for those "slim" OEM PCs, I could use a 2400GE to put it on an ordinary AM4 motherboard with reasonable space for peripherals around.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                  I have no use for those "slim" OEM PCs, I could use a 2400GE to put it on an ordinary AM4 motherboard with reasonable space for peripherals around.
                  I'm just pointing out that they are selling the 2400GE, just not to consumers directly.

                  So the only way to get one is to buy a OEM PC to extract the CPU. Nice stuff.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I'm just pointing out that they are selling the 2400GE, just not to consumers directly.

                    So the only way to get one is to buy a OEM PC to extract the CPU. Nice stuff.
                    Somewhere it is, somewhere don't... googling around a bit shows me in UK it seems available at couple places:

                    AMD's latest generation Ryzen multicore processors build upon the success of the 1st gen making them hard to ignore if you are looking to build a powerful PC for any purpose!

                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Amd-R...-/401576280574

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by dungeon View Post

                      Somewhere it is, somewhere don't... googling around a bit shows me in UK it seems available at couple places:

                      AMD's latest generation Ryzen multicore processors build upon the success of the 1st gen making them hard to ignore if you are looking to build a powerful PC for any purpose!

                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Amd-R...-/401576280574
                      I was looking at Epyc Embedded today and noticed it was only available through Euro based distribution channels. The US arm of same distributor doesn't carry it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X