Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Athlon 200GE With Vega 3 Graphics, 2nd Gen Ryzen/Athlon PRO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Announces The Athlon 200GE With Vega 3 Graphics, 2nd Gen Ryzen/Athlon PRO

    Phoronix: AMD Announces The Athlon 200GE With Vega 3 Graphics, 2nd Gen Ryzen/Athlon PRO

    AMD has a few processor announcements this morning that are no longer under embargo...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-200GE-New-PRO

  • #2
    Sigh. And the only way to get my hands on a Ryzen 5 2400g PRO to use ECC ram is buying a 1k businness PC from HP.

    Boards with the embedded version of the Ryzen APU like the one from Sapphire or the Udoo one are neat but lack the connectivity I need (no I don't need to be able to drive 4x 4k screens so I don't need 4 Displayports).

    Meh.

    Comment


    • #3
      "security" so ryzen+ is inmune to spectre now ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
        "security" so ryzen+ is inmune to spectre now ?
        That's not the meaning of the "security" used there. It means usually that the platform can be locked down more/better or even remotely managed/wiped by the IT department, unlike consumer hardware.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bin sorted raven ridge dies.

          Comment


          • #6
            Still waiting for Ryzen GE series to appear in consumer devices.. I was pretty sure Zotac would deliver a Zbox with it but it's still basically unobtanium despite having launched in April. https://www.anandtech.com/show/12675...00ge-35-w-apus

            Power consumption is a critical point for me, and AMD isn't really a player in that space right now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by squash View Post
              Power consumption is a critical point for me, and AMD isn't really a player in that space right now.
              Huh? AMD's power consumption is fine, as long as you're careful about clock speeds. It seems for both first and 2nd gen parts, the efficiency only suffers once you go above 3.8GHz. If power consumption is critical to you, I'm assuming you aren't shopping for anything high-end, where AMD's power consumption should be perfectly adequate with lower-end parts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Huh? AMD's power consumption is fine, as long as you're careful about clock speeds. It seems for both first and 2nd gen parts, the efficiency only suffers once you go above 3.8GHz. If power consumption is critical to you, I'm assuming you aren't shopping for anything high-end, where AMD's power consumption should be perfectly adequate with lower-end parts.
                Ah you seem confused. I'm afraid you have mistaken "lower power" for "low power". Until AMD ships their U series 15w chips to resellers, they don't have a worthwhile response to the low power crowd.

                My current rig is a 15w quad core i7, which meets most definitions of "high end". https://ark.intel.com/products/12258...up-to-4_00-GHz, unfortunately the only way to get it is to buy a laptop that comes with it. You could say the same thing about AMD's U series, but you can't actually buy a workstation replacement class laptop with Ryzen yet... In fact, the only Ryzen laptop on the market with a 4k screen is a 13 inch model from HP.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by squash View Post
                  Ah you seem confused. I'm afraid you have mistaken "lower power" for "low power". Until AMD ships their U series 15w chips to resellers, they don't have a worthwhile response to the low power crowd.

                  My current rig is a 15w quad core i7, which meets most definitions of "high end". https://ark.intel.com/products/12258...up-to-4_00-GHz, unfortunately the only way to get it is to buy a laptop that comes with it. You could say the same thing about AMD's U series, but you can't actually buy a workstation replacement class laptop with Ryzen yet... In fact, the only Ryzen laptop on the market with a 4k screen is a 13 inch model from HP.
                  Why not buy an existing AM4 platform and just underclock it? You'll basically get the same results than if you just waited for a U series. Keep in mind too that both Intel and AMD offer a lot more voltage than you really ever need, so you can probably get a substantial under-volt going too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are lots of choices if you're willing to compromise. The compromise I made this year was the same one I made last year, buying intel. Maybe next year I'll have better choices, if AMD and their partners make an effort.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X