Linux 4.18.6 Kernel To Properly Report AMD Threadripper 2 CPU Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.18.6 Kernel To Properly Report AMD Threadripper 2 CPU Temperature

Phoronix: Linux 4.18.6 Kernel To Properly Report AMD Threadripper 2 CPU Temperature

The soon-to-be-released Linux 4.18.6 stable kernel will correctly report the CPU core temperatures of the new AMD Threadripper 2950X and 2990WX processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unrelated: To be honest, that MEG motherboard looks more like a "gaming" motherboard...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 30 August 2018, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Pretty darn cool that your patch is waiting to be merged. Nice catch, Michael.

Comment

Good job, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Unrelated: To be honest, that MEG motherboard looks more like a "gaming" motherboard... (plus I think it lacks ECC support)
          Why? Because it has RGB LED's? I don't even know what a "gaming" mobo/product is anymore because the marketers have overused it and plastered it over everything that isn't a low-end product (and probably some low-end products too).

And yes, it does support ECC.

Comment

Does 4.18.6 fix the bug that prevents booting on Core 2 Duo as well?

Comment

Is anyone else having issues with shutting down or rebooting their system when using kernel 4.18.x on Ubuntu/Kubuntu 18.04? I suspect that it may have something to do with my full-disk encryption, but I haven't been able to properly track down the issue yet.

Comment

Unrelated: To be honest, that MEG motherboard looks more like a "gaming" motherboard... (plus I think it lacks ECC support)
                I am curious, Isn't ECC slower for gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Why? Because it has RGB LED's? I don't even know what a "gaming" mobo/product is anymore because the marketers have overused it and plastered it over everything that isn't a low-end product (and probably some low-end products too).

And yes, it does support ECC.
                  Because:

- It focuses too much into "creation". It feels like they read the phrase "for creators" from AMD's website and thought "creation" would become the next big thing.
                  - It uses a font that would better fit on a gaming motherboard. Even on the "PCIe mode support only" warning, which is kinda out of place.
                  - The motherboard's design looks unusual if it was expected to be a "workstation" motherboard.

Also, note that workstation motherboards are usually not low-end, yet lack RGB LEDs.

Thank you on the ECC clarification, by the way. I thought it didn't support ECC because there was no mention of it in the product's page.

Comment

Also, note that workstation motherboards are usually not low-end, yet lack RGB LEDs.
                    I know. I didn't express that thought very well.

The motherboard's design looks unusual if it was expected to be a "workstation" motherboard.
                    Other than the purty colors, can you elaborate? To me, the big workstation feature it's missing is 10G, especially given the price.

Thank you on the ECC clarification, by the way. I thought it didn't support ECC because there was no mention of it in the product's page.
                    Yeah, MSI does a good job of hiding it. But you can see it here if you click on the 'Details' tab: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-.../Specification

Comment

Working...
                    X