Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Global Switch To Kill Linux's CPU Spectre/Meltdown Workarounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
    There are also bad admins out there. You still hear about breaches where the point of entry was a default admin password. But it still doesn't make speculative execution exploits go away.
    WTF are you talking about? There are zero speculative execution exploits in the wild. None. We've been hearing about them for the past eight months already, yet hackers still use old proven working methods, vs. this shat which could only be theoretically exploited. Why should everyone bear the burden of these mitigations even in cases when these vulnerabilities cannot be exploited under no circumstances?

I'm done with topic and local security wannabes.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      You realize Intel wanted to make it opt-in in a patch (i.e. disabled by default) and it got rejected/flamed by Linus, right? So you should point to Linus and the kernel, not Intel.
      Well, Intel had their way in L1TF/Foreshadow. Only limited mitigation is enabled by default, and VM users are vulnerable unless they take extra steps.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      WTF are you talking about? There are zero speculative execution exploits in the wild. None. We've been hearing about them for the past eight months already, yet hackers still use old proven working methods, vs. this shat which could only be theoretically exploited. Why should everyone bear the burden of these mitigations even in cases when these vulnerabilities cannot be exploited under no circumstances?

I'm done with topic and local security wannabes.
      Good riddance, there was no contribution of value from you anyway. For one, your claim "there are no known circulating in-the-wild viruses/exploits based on the Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities" was already disproven, which you conveniently chose to ignore. Then you say that it is impossible to exploit. But the relative lack of exploits does only say that there are currently other vectors which are easier or more promising approaches.

Comment

WTF are you talking about? There are zero speculative execution exploits in the wild. None.
        Maybe you meant to say: "I am not aware of anyone or any group that has found a speculative execution exploit that was used in the wild."

1. If no one has found a real world speculative execution exploit, that does not mean these exploits are not being used. It would just mean that they haven't been found.
        2. You can't even be sure that no one has has found such an exploit. You may have missed a report or the people that have found the exploits may not have made them public (for any number of reasons, including profit).

You're just the rude guy on a technical forum insulting people and making illogical claims (the the bold claim quoted above).

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Maybe you meant to say: "I am not aware of anyone or any group that has found a speculative execution exploit that was used in the wild."

1. If no one has found a real world speculative execution exploit, that does not mean these exploits are not being used. It would just mean that they haven't been found.
          2. You can't even be sure that no one has has found such an exploit. You may have missed a report or the people that have found the exploits may not have made them public (for any number of reasons, including profit).

You're just the rude guy on a technical forum insulting people and making illogical claims (the the bold claim quoted above).
          To this date Microsoft, Google, Intel and all AV companies vendors haven't found a single piece of malware using Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities.

If you going to use conspiracy theories to prove that every vulnerable piece of hardware in the would should be protected against these vulnerabilities then just kill yourself. Also please do not procreate and please fuck off. It's amazing how many lunatics frequent the Phoronix forum but it's easily explainable given the fringe status of Linux. Enough with security idiocy. I'm not gonna argue with idiots any longer.

Comment

To this date Microsoft, Google, Intel and all AV companies vendors haven't found a single piece of malware using Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities.
            A reasonable statement!

If you going to use conspiracy theories to prove that every vulnerable piece of hardware in the would should be protected against these vulnerabilities then ...
            So instead of admitting that I was right (in the text you quoted), you respond with a "conspiracy theoriest" ad-hominem attack and tell me...

... just kill yourself. Also please do not procreate and please fuck off.
            It's amazing how many lunatics frequent the Phoronix forum but it's easily explainable given the fringe status of Linux. Enough with security idiocy. I'm not gonna argue with idiots any longer.
            Your angry, vicious and contemptuous words tell me (and probably others here) a lot about you and your character. No further comment needed.

Comment

I've accidentally blacklisted you and I will no longer see your posts, cybertraveler I can't argue with people who keep spewing BS.

Comment

I've accidentally blacklisted you and I will no longer see your posts, cybertraveler I can't argue with people who keep spewing BS.
                "When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." —Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." —Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
                  The sad thing is, that although he was wrong about that point I corrected, He's probably right about many other things. He seems like he might be knowledgeable. He's just unnecessarily verbally aggressive and can't handle it at all when he is wrong about something. He could be helping people understand stuff better if he got over those things.

We all get things wrong. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Just make your corrections, learn and move on.
                  Last edited by cybertraveler; 28 August 2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Actually, most games are limited by the CPU, and usually because the game does not take advantage of as many threads as it could.
                    No, most games are certainly not, some are. But since "limited" can mean any amount of performance you have a lot of room for demagogy. Go ahead and disable retpoline and compare the numbers, if you don't fake them you'll be surprised at the pathetic difference in game performance.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

The sad thing is, that although he was wrong about that point I corrected, He's probably right about many other things. He seems like he might be knowledgeable. He's just unnecessarily verbally aggressive and can't handle it at all when he is wrong about something. He could be helping people understand stuff better if he got over those things.

We all get things wrong. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Just make your corrections, learn and move on.
                      Exactly. Aside from the insults clouding our judgment, there was a real opportunity of having a productive discussion to expand our perspective on both sides of the coin. It's easy to forget that insults tend to prompt an emotional response rather than a logical one, so for that reason I'm discontinuing my participation in this thread before we take it too far. My previous comment was close enough and I'd rather not continue on that path.

Comment

Working...
                      X