L1 Terminal Fault - The Latest Speculative Execution Side Channel Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It seems AMD isn't affected. But I'm pretty sure that everyone and their dong will just disable the mitigations because they need performance.
    Uh... I know people like to say men only think with their genitals, but I'm not sure that applies in this context...

Comment

The video is full of bullshit statements. The best is "only applicable to a small portion of the market". I mean who is using virtualization? And I thought cloud computing is a thing :-) With this attitude of addressing the security flaws I will avoid Intel now even more. There are so many devices that do not receive firmware updates and it is simple unserious to claim that the user should always stay up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        The video is full of bullshit statements. The best is "only applicable to a small portion of the market". I mean who is using virtualization? And I thought cloud computing is a thing :-) With this attitude of addressing the security flaws I will avoid Intel now even more. There are so many devices that do not receive firmware updates and it is simple unserious to claim that the user should always stay up to date.
        This can be fixed in-kernels, requires disabling SMT for virtualization which you can also do in-kernel (CPU "hotplugging", disabling the SMT sibling or pinning non-virtualized workloads to the second hyperthread).

Comment

This makes my AMD based machine look a bit better even if it crashes trying to suspend.

What really sucks here is the massive distractions these bugs are causing for Kernel developers. It looks like we are seeeing a whole years worth of mitigation work. This is t good for kernel development at all.

Comment

You have to wonder how long the various spy agencies have known about these flaws.

Comment

Is there a kernel version with none of these patches applied? Or an easy way to compile without them? Would be really interesting to see how much of a performance difference all of them make combined.

Comment

$ grep spectre /etc/default/grub
                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pti=off spectre_v2=off"

What bug

Comment

Chances are getting higher that Intel has been hiring 12 year olds to design processors.
                  Last edited by audir8; 14 August 2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Uh... I know people like to say men only think with their genitals, but I'm not sure that applies in this context...
                    Ah, stupid autocorrect... no wait... Ok I'll show myself the exit.

Comment

Well, it seems Moore's law is now inverted. Every other month we loose some computing power in an attempt to mitigate the new discovered flaws. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of 2018, CPU's will be at least 50% slower...lol

Comment

Working...
                      X