Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700X: Windows 10 vs. Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X: Windows 10 vs. Linux Performance

Recently there have been several Linux distribution benchmark comparisons on Phoronix to test the latest Linux OS releases, including several comparing to the current Microsoft Windows 10 performance. Those recent tests have all be done with various Intel CPUs, but for those curious about the AMD Windows vs. Linux performance, here are some fresh benchmarks as we approach the end of July.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would prefer an RX 580 GPU for graphics benchmarking against Windows
    But still interesting benchmarks. One should have a closer look at the spots where Linux is not in the first place.

Comment

Other than gaming, Linux beat the crap out of Windows. Good showing.

Comment

While you have the system up, I have the same CPU, with a setup that's not too different (R9 Fury, MSI BAZOOKA B350M, 8GB DDR4-2666), and I've been unable to suspend to RAM. Is it working for you?

I've been thinking about going the Gentoo route with such a compiling powerhouse.
        Last edited by M@yeulC; 23 July 2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Nah, Windows was good on this Minion Solitaire thingy. Hasn't Windows always been good at Solitaire, since W 3.11 for Workgroups?
          The question is also: This W10privacy program seems to be nice, but how long will that effect last - til the next update?
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Thanks for including D3D11 results for the Unigine tests. I've noticed they have often been omitted previously, which I find a little... ehem... manipulative.

Comment

I think it's more fair to benchmark Windows against systems with similar performance like FreeBSD - they probably even share the same code (thanks bsd license!). Linux is out of reach. Maybe except gaming, but the gap is very low and when Vulkan advances with OS driver we'll be on pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                Maybe except gaming, but the gap is very low and when Vulkan advances with OS driver we'll be on pair.
                Well no, Vulkan has certainly helped a lot. But gaming will not be on par until porting methodologies improve or people do actual cross platform development. What happens now is that game is made for windows and then later somebody ports it to Linux with a wrapper, so here is

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Well no, Vulkan has certainly helped a lot. But gaming will not be on par until porting methodologies improve or people do actual cross platform development. What happens now is that game is made for windows and then later somebody ports it to Linux with a wrapper, so here is
                  Windows gamers complain about bad ported games from consoles because they appear there first, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Windows gamers complain about bad ported games from consoles because they appear there first, etc.
                    Most AAA games are developed with windows as a primary target along with Xbox One and PS4.

Comment

Working...
                    X