No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X: Windows 10 vs. Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W10Privacy affects mostly stuff that does I/O to/from the disk.

Not exactly surprising given it disables Windows Defender. It's been known to screw up with I/O performance for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      While you have the system up, I have the same CPU, with a setup that's not too different (R9 Fury, MSI BAZOOKA B350M, 8GB DDR4-2666), and I've been unable to suspend to RAM. Is it working for you?

I've been thinking about going the Gentoo route with such a compiling powerhouse.
      Have you disabled the AMD PSP thingy in the bios? On my ASRock X470 Taichi i can only successfully suspend to ram if the PSP is enabled.

Comment

It's a strange paradox. Windows is getting more competitive with Linux in some areas, and far less in others. The io performance delta with W10Privacy modifications enabled is significant, and I don't see a path for MS to compete while Defender is still worthwhile. A victim of their own success to a point, but much of what Defender is defending you against is only a thing because of their legacy userlane model. Privilege separation and application confinement even comparable to Android would help, but your 20 year old apps might stop working.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma5 View Post

Have you disabled the AMD PSP thingy in the bios? On my ASRock X470 Taichi i can only successfully suspend to ram if the PSP is enabled.
          I disabled it, as far as I'm aware of (and I don't think it was enabled by default)

Comment

Try to enable it and test if suspending works after that.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              While you have the system up, I have the same CPU, with a setup that's not too different (R9 Fury, MSI BAZOOKA B350M, 8GB DDR4-2666), and I've been unable to suspend to RAM. Is it working for you?
              I have several systems (Kaveri, Piledriver and a Ryzen 2700X) unable to suspend to RAM as well on recent kernels (4.16+), didn't have time (or patience) to debug it yet. Might have a common cause.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                Most AAA games are developed with windows as a primary target along with Xbox One and PS4.
                And Windows gamers complain about bad ported games from consoles because they appear there first, etc. That doesn't mean that every game appear first in consoles. Also we can think the way some companies do: how do we win more money, with a platform where most people copy games, or with another one where most people don't?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

And Windows gamers complain about bad ported games from consoles because they appear there first, etc. That doesn't mean that every game appear first in consoles
                  The poorly ported from consoles complaint seldom arises anymore. Used to happen more in the Xbox 360 and ps3 days. Gamers will complain about poor graphical optimization but less so on porting. The fact that everyone is now on x86 AMD hardware and gcn graphics has helped in that regard. Also these days most AAA games come out on PC straight away. Because pc gaming in Windows is a big market..

Comment

> The poorly ported from consoles complaint seldom arises anymore. Used to happen more in the Xbox 360 and ps3 days.

It reminds me that I read in 2016 that:
                    "If it makes anyone feel any better, just about all the PC games are bad console ports anyway. So it's not just a Linux thing.
                    -- johnc (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...steam?p=841447)
                    (that comment has three "likes", that represents more people saying the same).

> Gamers will complain about poor graphical optimization but less so on porting. The fact that everyone is now on x86 AMD hardware and gcn
                    > graphics has helped in that regard.

If everyone was now on x86 AMD hardware... porting from consoles would be more convenient (instead of developing from zero). And the "how do we win more money, with a platform where most people copy games, or with another one where most people don't?" reasoning would make consoles the most important market for most of companies.

> Also these days most AAA games come out on PC straight away. Because pc gaming in Windows is a big market..
                    Some AAA games come out on some consoles only, but most of them come out on PC straight away, nobody denies that earning money is important for companies :-)
                    Last edited by Nth_man; 24 July 2018, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Since when Linux is faster than W10? cool

Comment

Working...
                      X