It Turns Out RISC-V Hardware So Far Isn't Entirely Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    What is the "analogue side" of a DRAM controller?
    Transmission lines are effectively analog devices. Each line associated with a DRAM interface has to operate in an analog reality.

while i havent looked at a logic bard in a long time it is actually possible to change system timing by lengthening or shortening PCB traces. You could actually see traces lengthened to create delay lines.

Comment

So, IMHO the best hope for an open PC platform(with real performance, not just a toy), is POWER...

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Core or ISA? The quote from the article suggests only the ISA is open, which I think is also true of SPARC, nowadays (and POWER, as noted).

You can even supposedly get open source implementations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC#...mplementations
        I'm not sure - my understanding was same as yours... the ISA is the primary thing that is "open", but a few people have published open implementations of the core.

There might also be an open implementation of an entire SOC, but I expect that would have to be foundry/process dependent.
        Test signature

Comment

We need truly open hardware using the likes of RISC-V. No more backdoors to Israel or Iran, or America, or Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            What is the "analogue side" of a DRAM controller?
            What is the digital side? Just a concept written on (proverbial) paper. There is really no such thing as a "digital" signal when physics gets involved.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post

What is the digital side? Just a concept written on (proverbial) paper. There is really no such thing as a "digital" signal when physics gets involved.
              Nope, within given context, there is such a thing as "digital".

Digital devices switch between a finite number of states, analog work with continuous ranges of values.

Comment

I knew that the final implementations would still be pretty heavily touched by proprietary tech, but I do have to admit I forgot about necessary, but also complex components with off-the-shelf IP cores like DRAM controllers and focused on synthesis tools for creating the actual hardware implementation from the VHDL/Verilog just about all silicon is designed in these days. Seems like I was vindicated in my my assertion that these things won't be all that much more "open" than most ARM-based SoCs.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Digital devices switch between a finite number of states, analog work with continuous ranges of values.
                  And what do they do between those states?

Comment

So could anyone point me towards a solution which is fully open-source?

Does one actually exist? It seems that Lemote (Stallman's last noted open-source platform) is no longer in trade of open hardware?

Comment

Being open is just a part of RISC-V. Other parts are "license free" and "patent free" (at least as an ISA). You still need a license if you want to use OpenPOWER.

Comment

Working...
                      X