Intel Hyper Threading Performance With A Core i7 On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kgardas View Post
    Linux prefers clearly performance over security. OpenBSD on the other hand prefers clearly security over performance. I'm with OpenBSD on this. You seems to be with different OS probably. What's the problem?
    With all of the side-channel attacks that keep popping up, I think we can probably say any OS which doesn't disable N-1 cores on a N-core CPU prefers performance over security.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
      that fits in with my personal benchmarking of HT. In rare circumstances I got 40% improvement, mostly I got 30% ish.

on my VM host at home which has a Haswell Xeon quad core with HT, I am careful to allocate pairs of sibling cores to the same VM.
      How can you do that on VirtualBox?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Also, the BIOS *is* software. Software that runs before the OS, but it's still software, so if it can disable HT, the OS can as well (unless the CPU prevents it later down the line only).
        Agreed, don't really know if I'm reading too much into this but it almost sounds like the parent poster was implying that the kernel emulated HT software-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
          How can you do that on VirtualBox?
          Well you can always pin the processes that VBox creates manually. I don't think that there is support for core pinning built into VBox (atleast none that I could find but then they also have hidden things you can enable in the xml-data for each VM).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Neat... I didn't know affordable portable digital studios like that existed. When I first read your post I imagined something like the old Teac I always wanted back when I had time for playing & recording:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/teac-A-3340S.html
            Yes, the pocket studio is a very nice sound kit with built-in stereo condensors/sounds awesome, and the preamp's are Neve ripping hot sounding even more so than my Scarlett 2i2 and Focusrite is known for having great preamps, its just that the Tascam's are even more Neve/Trident sounding kind of eats it's lunch but induces more noise. The whole unit only records in 16bit but with how it has been designed it sounds incredibly expensive. Contrary to what a lot of people believe about tape and what not; I actually like digital more, especially when your recording medium is solid state and you have good preamps. When ever I record though, using Ardour its gets treated like tape, I will import an LMMS export from my programming but thats it. I love to program all kinds of sequencers but like playing instruments as well.
            Last edited by creative; 22 June 2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Michael plz could you do a similar comparison between RAM single channel and multichannel?
              Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X