Linux 4.18 Gets AMD Patches For Speculative Store Bypass / Spectre V4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.18 Gets AMD Patches For Speculative Store Bypass / Spectre V4

Phoronix: Linux 4.18 Gets AMD Patches For Speculative Store Bypass / Spectre V4

Linux 4.17 landed the initial Spectre V4 mitigation as "Speculative Store Bypass Disable" (SSBD) while primarily focused on Intel CPUs and for Linux 4.18 the SSBD code has been updated for AMD processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SBD-Spectre-V4

Uhm... I knew that even 4.16 had working Spectre V4 patches for AMD, which didn't require microcode updates (while intel Does). It this a better version with lower performance impact?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It is probably a fix for the new variants of Spectre that keep showing up.

Just because your OS has Spectre patches doesn't mean it fixed all of the sub-varieties.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
        It is probably a fix for the new variants of Spectre that keep showing up.

Just because your OS has Spectre patches doesn't mean it fixed all of the sub-varieties.
        I was specifically talking about spectre V4.
        ## VGA ##

Comment

And by the way Michael already benchmarked it so that one cannot be a brand new implementation: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-initial&num=2
          ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Uhm... I knew that even 4.16 had working Spectre V4 patches for AMD, which didn't require microcode updates (while intel Does). It this a better version with lower performance impact?
            These patches just check if spectre V4 was fixed in the hardware (firmware) and if that's the case doesn't apply the kernel workarounds anymore.
            The fixes in the firmware are probably faster, but there's nothing that states something about performance.

Comment

Working...
            X