Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hygon Dhyana: Chinese x86 Server CPUs Based On AMD Zen

Phoronix: Hygon Dhyana: Chinese x86 Server CPUs Based On AMD Zen

While there are the VIA/Centaur-based Zhaoxin desktop CPUs targeted for the Chinese market, it turns out there is another x86 Chinese CPU effort but this time is a collaboration with AMD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why don't just lunch AMD Zen CPUs in the Chinese market like everywhere else?
    Are these Hygon Dhyana some backdoored version of AMD Zen?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Because US law now bans US CPU companies from supplying high performance CPUs to China.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Well, just as "backdoored". The difference is who the back door is for obviously .
        The CIA or the MSS, you choose. I would go for the MSS because they cannot affect me as much yet

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

Because US law now bans US CPU companies from supplying high performance CPUs to China.
        That is atrocious. If the Israelis stopped selling Intel processors to the US, the Americans would still be working in the fields.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 09 June 2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I would like to see any benchmark of real Chinese not rebranded x86 CPU.

Comment

Perhaps. I do know those two have some pretty crooked deals together. I feel sorry for the Palestinians in many ways.

But the sad truth is that AMD (American company) is only able to produce x86 chips designed and licensed by Intel (Israeli company) because of a deal made back in the early 80's because IBM refused to buy technology only produced by a single vendor (oh! how the mighty have fallen!). I have a feeling that Intel could actually revoke AMD's rights to developing x86 chips. This would start quite a war I feel.

That said. Most large companies (all?) in the US are headed by people of Israeli descendant (i.e Zuckerberg) so I am almost tempted to say America == Israel as far as business goes.

If China and Russia could get their crap together, the players in the grand game of super smash bros could literally be China and Russia VS America and Israel. No other country matters to be quite honest and at best would be simple pawns.

Myself? I have a large stock of old Thinkpads that I can take into my underground bunker playing Quake (offline), waiting for this whole thing to blow over
            Last edited by kpedersen; 09 June 2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

Is this true or false? the discussion followed by the above statement doesn't answer this...
              Last edited by lucasbekker; 11 June 2018, 05:14 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post

Is this true or false? the discussion followed by the above statement doesn't aswer this...
                True : https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0...tel_china_ban/

Comment

I *really* hope AMD gets lots of money out of this deal.
                  The potential should be there, since I haven't heard of Intel having a comparable deal for the Chinese market, and the Chinese market is huge.
                  I hope AMD will use the money for better products and better Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    I have a feeling that Intel could actually revoke AMD's rights to developing x86 chips. This would start quite a war I feel.
                    Being an important deal between publicly traded companies the Patent Cross Licence between AMD and Intel is available online. I don't see that either company has met the requirements for termination set out in section 5.

Note that if Intel could easily revoke AMD's rights then AMD could probably do the same to Intel. Given that AMD developed the 64 bit ISA that both are using this war you feel would happen would resemble the Mutual Assured Destruction doctrine.

Comment

Working...
                    X