No announcement yet.

Summit Supercomputer Launches With 200 PFLOPS Of Compute Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had one, I'd use it to play pong...just for the lulz.

Comment

Originally posted by Avant
      but can it run gnome?
      Good one. I guess it would use just one of the 200 000 cores

Comment

How about compile the Linux kernel in less than one lifetime...with a "Y to all" config.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
          Stock photo or are only those first few racks completely empty?
          NVIDIA's servers are so cool that they become invisible when in operation because quantum something something.

Back serious, it seems that image was taken while the things were built. The top rack is a high-speed switch for whatever type of interconnect they are using, there is no servers in there.

From the official site's article https://ornl.gov/news/ornl-launches-...-supercomputer you can get an image with the servers actually mounted and powered on.

Comment

Fun fact: gnome's core architecture was done by professional devs at redhat
            So... does Gnome Shell not count as "core" or does "let janky JavaScript mess with the thread responsible for compositing frames to the display" not disqualify someone from being called "professional" these days?

Comment

Yea I specifically meant gnome-shell, among other things.

I'm not sure enough what are you trying to say but I didn't disqualify anyone. I just stated a fact
              I'm saying that either the professionals didn't design that aspect of GNOME's architecture or they're not as professional as you/they think they are.

Comment

... 27,648 NVIDIA Volta GPUs. Summit servers are running Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
                <sarcasm/> so is this what RedHat have been working on nouveau compute support for?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  NVIDIA's servers are so cool that they become invisible when in operation because quantum something something.

Back serious, it seems that image was taken while the things were built. The top rack is a high-speed switch for whatever type of interconnect they are using, there is no servers in there.

From the official site's article https://ornl.gov/news/ornl-launches-...-supercomputer you can get an image with the servers actually mounted and powered on.
                  100-Gb/s-InfiniBand-Link from Mellanox
                  Das Oak Ridge National Laboratory hat "Summit" vorgestellt: Mit 200 PFlops dürfte der Supercomputer den chinesischen Spitzenreiter der Top500-Liste ablösen.

Comment

Working...
                  X