Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28-Way Linux CPU/System Comparison From Old To New

Phoronix: 28-Way Linux CPU/System Comparison From Old To New

This week have been various unique and extra articles and benchmarks for commemorating the Phoronix 14th birthday. The latest of these fun articles is taking a look back at how various CPUs over the years compare to today's Intel Core and AMD Ryzen offerings.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why did you miss BLAKE2? It'd have been useful to see real regardless-of-clock-differences single-core performance over the years...

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    With the Linux 4.17 comes all of the relevant Spectre/Meltdown mitigiation,

Comment

Is it weird the first thing I noticed in the picture of the server racks was the Google Wifi sitting in the windows sill next to the drinks?

Comment

No wonder I felt the need to upgrade my NAS from an E-350 to a Ryzen 1700 last year. I didn't realize it was that slow! I mean, it wasn't able to run SSH or other encrypted traffic at gigabit speed, and it couldn't handle a 6 drive RAID at full speed, so I knew it was slower than I liked.

The E-350 actually ran Linux desktop software like Firefox and Evolution OK.

Comment

glad to see 2400g going strong

Comment

No wonder I felt the need to upgrade my NAS from an E-350 to a Ryzen 1700 last year. I didn't realize it was thatslow! I mean, it wasn't able to run SSH or other encrypted traffic at gigabit speed, and it couldn't handle a 6 drive RAID at full speed, so I knew it was slower than I liked.

The E-350 actually ran Linux desktop software like Firefox and Evolution OK.
            I'm on the same boat mate...
            I'd like to have a decent performance with a NAS raid z1 on nas4free (3 HDD) and to run Plex with no real time re-encoding
            Any idea of a Mobo+CPU replacement with low power consumption with a budget below $400 ?

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post

I'd like to have a decent performance with a NAS raid z1 on nas4free (3 HDD) and to run Plex with no real time re-encoding
              Any idea of a Mobo+CPU replacement with low power consumption with a budget below $400 ?
              Newegg has a bundle with exactly what I have: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.3482468

You'd need some DDR4 memory to put on it. And a video card.

I like that Asus PRO board because it has 8 SATA ports. Lots of the cheaper boards have only 4. Or only 2 if it's one of the small ones.

I suppose you could save quite a bit of money by getting one of the Ryzen APUs that include the GPU. If you're like me you have extra video cards lying around in the closet.
              Last edited by Zan Lynx; 08 June 2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

There are plenty of options. If you're finding an E-350 is struggling to keep up with your workload but still usable, $400 can buy you quite a bit. My home server uses an Athlon 5350 (which actually isn't a whole lot better than the E-350 in terms of IPC) and it handles a RAID setup and media streaming just fine. But, I actually use a discrete RAID controller and I only play 1080p content from it (though, the Ethernet connection does have the bandwidth for 4K). Having a discrete RAID controller can significantly reduce CPU overhead on such low-end hardware. This is important when you've got a task that is intensive on both the disk and CPU (like media streaming).

Comment

Just a tip, when you see graphs turn out the way these did just exclude AMD E-350. While it's a datapoint extra it's so off the rest that it "ruins the graphs" somewhat since the rest become compressed. They didn't really sell many of them anyway.

Comment

AMD is just releasing a 2700e model, which is still 8 cores, but at a TDP of 45w. Pair that with any AM4 motherboard that fits your needs and you have one excellent machine to feed Plex and handle any transcoding. The Ryzens all support ECC too, so if you get the right motherboard, you can use ECC memory.

Myself, I have a AMD Opteron 8 core with TDP of 35W. Found a Supermicro motherboard for it that has 8+ sata connections, dual ethernet and IMPI for remote KVM access. CPU I got for $20 and motherboard for around $100. The Opteron 8 core though only at 2Ghz, is able to transcode even my direct Bluray and HD-DVD content to 5Mbps real-time for viewing. Being an Opteron, it of course uses ECC memory.

AMD Opteron 4365 EE
                    Supermicro H8SCM-F Socket C32 AMD Opteron 4000

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X